Seismic - Nailing Problems & Unit Roof Shear (ASD and LRFD)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H2OEngineer

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm or correct my understanding on the following?

When working nailing problems using American Wood Council Tables 4.2A and 4.2B for horizontal diaphragms we use ASD force unit roof shear (0.7xVunit-roof) and compare to half the tabulated values in the AWC tables. (correct?)

When using LRFD (SD) force strength we use 0.8xVunit-roof and compare again to half the tabulated values in the AWC tables. (correct?)

Same approach applies to the AWC shear walls Table 4.3A. (correct?)

Final question, are the three AWC tables mentioned above (4.2A, 4.2B, and 4.3A) sufficient for the CA Seismic Principles exam or should I obtain additional AWC tables for different material types?

Assuming you are talking about seismic load (not wind):

For ASD you are correct. The demand has a factor of 0.7 (CBC 1605.3.1) and the capacity has a factor of 0.5 (SDPWS 4.2.3).

For LRFD...doesn't look right. The factor should be 1.0 for the demand (CBC 1605.2) and 0.8 for the capacity (SDPWS 4.2.3).

Yes same applies to shearwall per SDPWS 4.3.3.

Don't know the answer to the last question.

Nice answer SEHQ. I'll take the last one. ;) H2O, all you should need for the CA-Seismic exam is a good workbook (Ibrahim, Hiner, Mansour, Lindeburg). Arguably, you'll need the ASCE7 and the CBC/IBC, but oftentimes the workbook and/or review class you take will provide you with any needed excerpts from these references. But that's it. One workbook and two references, tops. Some additional problems while studying is good too. But on exam day, all you'll need is mainly your workbook and maybe the ASCE7 and CBC a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:
You talked me into getting the EET practice exams, hopefully they will arrive quickly. If I had a few more weeks I would have purchased the workbook as well for a fresh approach after using Hiner.

Yes, I am taking the Surveying as well. I have Mahallati´s review book coming, can you recommend any additional materials? I have a Florida PE already so it will be just the two exams.

You talked me into getting the EET practice exams, hopefully they will arrive quickly. If I had a few more weeks I would have purchased the workbook as well for a fresh approach after using Hiner.

Yes, I am taking the Surveying as well. I have Mahallati´s review book coming, can you recommend any additional materials? I have a Florida PE already so it will be just the two exams.
Take a look here to see if this helps: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=25246

Also, a lot of the free Caltrans LS/LSIT review material is good stuff. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/row/landsurveys/LSITWorkbook/WorkbookTOC.html Not all of it applies to the CA-Survey exam but a lot does.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Mahallati book is good, and it has a lot of examples. Pay attention on the practice solutions as well coz sometime you can find good short cut to solve the problem,

Prepare your own cheatsheet, so you don't need to flip pages to find the euqtions. oh, tab your book as well.

Back