NY PE Application Question- Construction Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCCON

Reaction score
Has anyone that has worked with a construction company in NY that has either passed or been approved to take the PE exam with endorsements from engineers who are employed by the municipalities or their consultants? I have a couple of engineers from municipalities who are willing to endorse my experience. However, there is only one engineer who works for my company that is a PE that can endorse my experience but it would be 4 years worth of experience. Do they frown upon using only one endorser for all that time.

All help is greatly appreciated!

I can't answer your question about using endorsers from municipalities, though that is allowed by NYS if you provide a letter documenting why you're using them as an endorser. I had one job over my four years of experience (with increasing responsibilities) and I only had one endorser, my supervisor. He is a PE, though.

NYS does not require that your endorser be a PE, but I think you need to make sure that your engineering experience is very clearly acceptable if your supervisor is not a PE. This is what the instructions for Form 4 say:

Your experience must be endorsed by someone who is familiar with your work and can attest that it has been done as stated and is accurately described. Your endorser should preferably be the person who was your supervisor at the time the work was performed. If this is not possible, a letter documenting the reasons, must be provided with the Form. If you are unable to obtain a supervisor's endorsement, select another person (coworker or client) you worked with who is sufficiently knowledgeable about your work to attest to the accuracy of your experience description.

28 years of experience, still waiting on approval from NY to take the exam there.

Back