Certified Automation Professional (CAP)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupojoe PE PMP

Reaction score
As I've posted on this board before, I have the PE (electrical power) and PMP certification. I'm looking to improve my knowledge and skills in the I&C world. I'm trying to figure out a formalized way to approach it rather than trying to do random reading. I was thinking working towards a formal cert of some sort might focus my studying.

I was looking at two options, the Control Systems PE or the ISA Certified Automation Professional certification. Has anyone who works in I&C done either or both of these have any advice? Thanks.

Since you already have your PE, (no gain in doing it again) there is more value in getting the CAP (ISA). Three more letters after your name. PE, CAP, PMP. Studying for the CAP will also structure what you need to learn. It is offered at one of those computer based testing centers year round. The PE (Controls) is open book, but the CAP is a closed book test and a calculator is not needed, but instead covers a wide breathe of material.

Back