8 Hour Exam Difficulty (Civil - Water Resources)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoracer PE

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a bead on where I stand as far as level of preparedness goes. I've taken several NCEES practice exams in an 8 hour timeframe and scored 85-90%, I've done Mike's Exam Guide, 85%+, and I've taken the four sample exams (2nd edition) by Ruwan Books and have gotten 80%+ on all of those. These were all taken under real test conditions.

I've also done a large amount of the practice problems in the CERM and I understand at least 70% of them, maybe more.

I'm taking the PE in October, and I don't want my practice test scores to mislead me into thinking I'm ready. What other practice tests can I take that will be a similar level of difficulty, specifically afternoon? If I'm doing well on my practice exams, do I have a pretty good shot at the real thing, or will the real thing be much harder? Should I try to run through a quick 8-hr exam course or just keep finding problems to work?

You might want to go back and review the afternoon CERM chapters and problems with a few weeks to go. I did that for the mechanical exam and it probably was the difference between pass or fail for me.

The exam really is as easy as the NCEES practice exams. If you understand those problems, you will be fine.

The exam really is as easy as the NCEES practice exams. If you understand those problems, you will be fine.
I hope to achieve enlightenment around 7:59 AM on October 30, 2015. It's my only hope.

I hope to achieve enlightenment around 7:59 AM on October 30, 2015. It's my only hope.

With your luck Matt it'll be 4:59 PM instead...
If that's the case, I'll already be drunk at the bar. And yes, there is a bar right down the street.

Good to see you had your priorities straight when scoping out the exam area.

Isn't that a part of the NCEES requirements? Shitty neighborhood and a bar near by.

Yep, and everyone can stay at Mike's house the night before.

Good to have you back on here. Guessing you'll be off again soon for some more studying torture.

Leave the wife at home Matt.
futuramafry.jpg

Good to have you back on here. Guessing you'll be off again soon for some more studying torture.
Yeah, I really should be here.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep working problems but if it's not much different than the NCEES practice I won't over work myself.

Can't wait for that first beer after the exam. I've relatively sober since February, it's a real problem that needs to be fixed.

I would grab the water resources 6 minute solution book (PPI) and work those too... for construction i have been working through them and they are harder than NCEES and other sources but not much more so to become discouraging (like the Lindburgh practice problems are). Remember that your DEPTH is 65% of the exam!

Back