Engagements for CA PE Application

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powercivil

Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been covered previously. I read the previous posts, but I would appreciate any advice for my situation specifically.

I have 28 months of engineering experience with one employer. During this time, I rotated in a rotation program under 6 different supervisors; all possess a PE license. The instructions for the CA PE Application make it clear that I should consider the entire 28 months as Engagement 1, since I did not have a change in employer or position. Each supervisor is in charge of a different design group, so the work varies and is unique to each group.

My question: for the 6 "Engagement Record and Reference" forms, should I provide unique descriptions of work for each supervisor? Or, should all of the descriptions remain the same since all of my supervisors will be grouped under Engagement 1?

Alternatively, would it be better to consider the time under each supervisor as a different engagement, each with a unique work description, even though I have worked for the same company the whole time?

I like your "alternatively..." better. I do not necessarily agree with your assessment that you only have one engagement for these 28 months just because your employer and your position title did not change. As long as your level of responsibility varied with each rotation, then each rotation can be counted as a separate engagement. Typically rotation programs are designed to expose you to different (and increasing) levels of responsibility. The CA application defines one engagement as:

An engagement is an employment with one employer, in one capacity at one level of responsibility. Different projects in the same capacity for one employer are not considered separate engagements.

Also, do you have experience/references for the remaining 44 months? You'll need 72 months of experience (48 of which can be substituted with a BS degree in engineering).

I assume you have a BS degree so you'll need to come up with at least 4 (you can have more) references with at least 4 separate engagements for your 28 months of work experience. You should be able to do this.

Good luck.

I had a different dilemma. I had multiple PEs providing oversight during the same period of time. (I wrote them as "1A" and "1B")

Honestly I don't think it matters how you list it. As long as you have 4 or more references covering a period of greater than the required amount and you present the information regarding your technical capacity in a coherent way for the reviewer to read through, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you ptatohed. I will consider each rotation location as a separate engagement, which will be 5 PE references total. I do have my bachelors to cover the remaining 44 months of experience.

Thanks again!

Back