Surveying vs Engineering vs Mapping

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm24

Reaction score
Can any of you provide some insight on the distinction between surveying services, engineering services, and mapping services? My firm is a registered engineering firm in Louisiana. We have two PEs on staff (myself and my business partner). We are a very small environmental consulting firm that also provides GIS and Mapping services. I am a certified GIS Professional (GISP) as well as my GIS Manager. According to the Louisiana Professional Engineering and Land Surveying Board (LAPELS), there is a close relationship between land surveying and some areas of engineering. Based on our interpretation of the rules, mapping functions which require the establishment of relationships to property ownership boundaries are unique to land surveying and must be performed by a PLS. Pretty much every other type of mapping function can be performed by a PE or PLS. We do not perform property boundary surveys but we do provide many types of other mapping services. I think we are fine, but after LAPELS recently sent letters to every pipeline company in the state warning them to ensure their contractors were properly licensed and following the rules, I just wanted to double check.

I've attached the portion of the LA rules that discusses surveying and mapping.

Thanks

Surveying and Mapping Rules.pdf

Attachments

• Surveying and Mapping Rules.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 11
I think you should contact LAPELS directly and get their opinion. In case you don't like their finding, then you can have a meeting with them and discuss. Otherwise, in case you do some work that according to LAPELS is beyond the scope of your license, you risk censure and bad publicity. 

Good luck.

Back