Fire!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see you started this forum. I've known a few Fire Protection PEs, and one guy with a Fire Protection Engineering Masters Degree, and I see the odd job posted on USA Jobs that requires a Fire PE. I've always been curious about it, so hopefully some new Fire PEs can join and start talking so I can learn something about it.

I'm a mechanical engineer who's starting a master's program in fire protection engineering (online and part time), so this should be helpful. I'm undecided as of yet if I will take the mechanical or fire protection PE exam but am leaning towards fire protection, as I can prep for it while going to school.

I've taken and passed both the Mechanical HVAC and Fire Protection exams. Very different tests. FP is not breadth and depth. just depth. 8 hrs of it. I'm licensed in CO. I currently do HVAC, plumbing, fueling, lubrication, and fire protection engineering. Mostly for Federal projects. What kind of questions do you have about FP? I might be able to help...

FYI - I had to take both exams. Since we do federal work - not exclusively, but close - and most federal projects require that the F/FA/FP/LS sheets be signed by a licensed FPE "by passing the NCEES exam in Fire Protection" - our firm needed an FPE. We have been outsourcing the FP portion of most of our projects and it's been a majory budget killer.

My degree is in Mechanical Engineering Technology. Everything I learned about FP I taught myself. So, the exam was killer. I took it (and failed) in 2013, took it again in 2014 and passed.

Let me know your questions and I'll do my best to answer...

I am always intriged how the whole FPE works. I am doing alot work involved fire protection and fire safety especially in transit agency. Worth getting a FPE degree especially I really want to migrate to MEP type of work?

I wouldn't bother with getting an FPE degree. I don't have one... I studied a lot for the FP test, and knew my reference materials really well. Not worth the $$$ for another degree though... unless you like spending your money unnecessarily.

TXinCO, I like the way you think. I work in water/wastewater. We have a drinking water client who took the fire exam. He is a civil by degree like most of us are. How much of the exam is pumps and piping? I assume a lot is code related?

I think there were 3 questions about pumping/piping out of 80... I would say that the biggest points of emphasis were 1) Fire dynamics (growth, spread, etc.) 2) egress 3)alternative systems such as clean agents, and 4) hazard classification. Had to use NFPA 101 and 13 the most, mixed with a dose of 2001. and the NFPA and SFPE handbooks.

I think there were 3 questions about pumping/piping out of 80... I would say that the biggest points of emphasis were 1) Fire dynamics (growth, spread, etc.) 2) egress 3)alternative systems such as clean agents, and 4) hazard classification. Had to use NFPA 101 and 13 the most, mixed with a dose of 2001. and the NFPA and SFPE handbooks.
hi,

i am planning to take the exami need your help if you can help me

could you please let me know from where i can buy the books to study and from where? what are the subjects i have to focus on?

thanks foir your support in advance

I have been thinking about this now for a while. I'm going to find out what the requirements are in NJ, already being licensed.

I have one doubt. 

What is the min clearance required for access panels on an outdoor condensing unit 

Guys I am a Mechanical PE and I am planning to take the FP PE exam on October, any advise for studying materials , courses, or references ??????????????

Back