Where were you when you got the exam results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo

Magnum P.E.
Reaction score
The date was May 23rd 2014. The time was between noon and 1pm. I was eating a bagged lunch with my co-workers in a cafeteria when my phone buzzed with an email from the NCEES. I casually followed the link and logged onto NCEES website with my phone. Then I saw the green box next to exam status that said "pass". Those moments were exciting and really got my heart pumping. Then I waited many more weeks for the NYS board to update their system and mail me the certificate and registration.

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 and a few minutes past 1100. I was at work billing some poor sap while feverishly hitting F5. And then it changed from results pending. I passed word around the office that it finally happened. Bosses took me out for lunch. I continued to be less than productive that day. I went home, got hammered. One of the best days of my life.

similar to NJmike. May 20th, 2014 ~7:30am i was at work, not working because i was too busy F5'ing. email came in and said to check my NCEES account, logged into my account and and PASS! i got a bunch of congrats from people around the office, then i posted here on EB.com. spent the rest of the day on here watching others get their results then i went home and celebrated with some middle shelf Scotch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the day of electronic notifications.

June 8th 2008, I came home from work to see the letter sitting on top of that month's Playboy in the living room. At that point I knew I passed before I even opened it.

May 21, 2014 (Day 41) 11:59 am, there I was......google chatting with my college friend, who also took the exam, about how pissed off we were with our state for not releasing on the first day, and we were pretty confident we wouldn't get them that day either. Feverish attempts at refreshing the state website and NCEES were not yielding anything favorable. Then, suddenly a wild email appeared from NCEES....Notification of Results Release. I did my best to not throw up on my keyboard from nervousness. The next 2 secs were a blur as I logged back in to NCEES and saw the jolliest green icon next to the "Result" line. I yelled at my boss that I passed, and that I would be completely useless for the rest of the day. My college buddy also passed, and we did our best to convey excitement/congratulations via gchat. I did the serious celebrating over Memorial Day weekend, but drank my fair share that night as well.

Victory was mine that day.

I was in a meeting with my laptop taking notes and constantly pressing F5...half way through the meeting around 2.30PM...I raise my arms up and quietly yell out...everyone look at me with that look "WTF"

May 21, 2014 (Day 41) 11:59 am, there I was......google chatting with my college friend, who also took the exam, about how pissed off we were with our state for not releasing on the first day, and we were pretty confident we wouldn't get them that day either. Feverish attempts at refreshing the state website and NCEES were not yielding anything favorable. Then, suddenly a wild email appeared from NCEES....Notification of Results Release. I did my best to not throw up on my keyboard from nervousness. The next 2 secs were a blur as I logged back in to NCEES and saw the jolliest green icon next to the "Result" line. I yelled at my boss that I passed, and that I would be completely useless for the rest of the day. My college buddy also passed, and we did our best to convey excitement/congratulations via gchat. I did the serious celebrating over Memorial Day weekend, but drank my fair share that night as well.

Victory was mine that day.
and we all forgotten everything we learned for past couple months..alcohol kills our brain cells! lol

I was packing for a field trip so I was away from F5ing, I randomly pulled out my phone and refreshed the NCEES site (or was it PCS?) and saw that I passed. I thrust both fist in the air and held my chin high for about 30 seconds, luckily I was away from my coworkers packing at the time so no one saw.

I took a screen shot, just in case there was a glitch in the space time continuum, I texted my fiancee (who reportedly squealed in the middle of her lunch in the teachers lounge), then I requested new business cards in ear shot of my boss to avoid an awkward convo of asking for a raise that had been hinted at... "Huh? Oh yeah, just getting new business cards, passed the PE, no big deal"

I know refresh this board in anticipation of my two coworkers waiting on results, the cycle continues

It was May 22, 2014, I was away training with some estimators who are not engineers. I had got a text message from a friend of mine in Florida who I studied with (via online) on May 20, 2014 saying that he passed. I was happy for him, but nervous for myself. The next day (May 21, 2014) I got a text from another friend friend in Arizona that I studied with also (via online), saying that she passed also. Again I was happy for her and nervous for myself and also mad because my state does not allow the release of the results on the NCEES website. The next day on May 22, 2014 will in training as I mentioned above, my mind was not into training at the time, I was really nervous and angry. suddenly I had the urge to check the testing service website in my state again, not expecting the results as usual, but I looked anyway and to my surprise I saw the words Pass. I could not believe it at first, I thought that I must be dreaming. In fact my body had a panic attack from the excitment. I stood up and fell back into the chair from exhaustion took a few deep breaths and realized that I was not dreaming nor was I dillusional, I jumped up pumping my fists and shouting Yeah thank God. I quitely returned to the training room and told my instructor and he congratulated me and made the anoucement to the class. Although the majority of them did not know what a professional engineer meant. However I was still on cloud 9 anyway. It was one of the happiest days of my life so far.

Don't know yet..... Flipping guys will not release the results......

May 23rd walking to my meeting when I happened to look at my Smart Phone and saw the email. So I told myself to not look until after the meeting but as I'm descending the steps I couldn't help but look. When I saw the green pass I whooped out loud and glided into my meeting.

**** I'm glad that's over!

FE exam (Taken in October 2005): Arrived home one day in January and there was a somewhat large envelope in my mailbox from the NY Department of Ed. All I could say is "what the hell is this?" I honestly hadn't been thinking about the test, barely studied for it, and didn't take it too seriously because it wasn't something I needed right away.

PE exam (Taken April 2012): May 31, 2012. Went to grab lunch. Brought my lunch back to my desk and continued the F5 routine. On the first refresh, I saw the link to get the results and thought it had to be a mistake. But sure enough I had passed. There was no one else anywhere in my office which may have been good because I was just in shock but then I had no one to tell in person.

Dec 20, 2007-- At the post office! I had taken a review class and one of the guys from Texas had sent us an email that said that Texas results were out and he had passed. I went to the post office a couple of days later because I could not get there earlier. There were 2 letters-- one from NCEES and one from the Montana board. Each was kind of skinny-- so, I thought that I had failed! Of course, don't know why if I had passed, I would have gotten a fat envelope. I opened up the NCEES letter, it said PASS! Of course, there was nobody in the Post Office to tell, so I went to the coffee shop downtown. I got in line to buy a coffee and told the kid behind me to pick whatever he wanted-- I had passed the PE exam and his coffee was on me, my treat! He knew what the PE license was, was happy for me! Best Christmas gift I have received in a long time.

At work in the parking lot sitting in my wife's car because she called and said that we had received a letter in the mailbox that looked like the results. I couldn't wait so I asked (begged) her to bring the letter to work.(there was no way I would have been able to wait until the end of the day but I couldn't leave work due to some commitments) It seemed like it took hours for my wife to arrive and to open the envelope and pull out the contents but it only took a second to realize that I had accomplished what I thought was something that could go either way. There have only been a few occasions where I have been more excited: My wedding and the birth of my children. Graduating from engineering school was awesome but less exciting as compared to finding out that I had passed the PE exam!! After I sat in the car for a while in shock I went back to work and told everyone that I saw that day what I had just found out. It was a phenomenal feeling and totally worth the effort required to obtain what is my highest credential!

at work hitting the F5 key on the state's license look up because they had started adding license numbers to the list that day. Whne my name came up with a # i hit the reftresh a few more times to make sure it was true and eyes starting watering with joy. Called the hubby and told the boss man.

June 17, 2014. I took the SE exam, so I had to wait about another 4 weeks after everybody else found out about the PE which is excruciating. I knew the exams had been scored due to the "SE Exam Scoring Workshop" being the previous week. I spent the previous weekend at the beach constantly refreshing on my phone. After refreshing all day at work, I was sitting on my sofa at about 8pm thinking to myself, "No way they're posting them at 8pm, probably will only do it during business hours. I'll just check one more time just to be sure." So I go to the NCEES website and log in while watching TV. I was paying more attention to the TV than the website loading, so I glanced down after the page had been loaded for a few seconds and there it was. TWO green acceptable results (one for vertical and one for lateral). The rest is a blur. I remember pushing the fiancé repeatedly (she was studying for med school classes) until she looked at my screen. There was much rejoicing and phone calling to family. Then I got out my bottle of Macallan.

I remember for the FE exam (2006), I was at home from school on Christmas break. I got a call from one of my college roommates (also an engineer) who said our results had come to our house in the mail. I told him to go ahead and open it for me and let me know if I passed.

*Rustling paper*

"You passed."

"Awesome."

"I did too."

"Cool, see you in a couple of weeks."

"See ya."

It makes me laugh now at how nonchalant we were playing it. Honestly it was nerve-wracking because something like 90%+ of civils from my school pass the exam, and you don't want to be that guy/girl that didn't pass.

For the PE (Dec 2012), I was on a project in another state, sitting in an apartment I shared with another engineer from my company. It was in the early evening, before going to dinner. I was on my computer on the Texas Board website, putting my information into the "exam score" page and hitting submit over and over as I browsed other websites. One time I hit submit and something was different. It showed my score and the word "Pass". I called my wife and I remember stammering "I think I passed the PE" over the phone to her over and over. Needless to say my coworker and I went out that night and several celebratory drinks were had.

For the October 2013 exam, I was at the Del Taco drive-thru in Pasadena CA at about 4:07 PM on December 4th. I saw the word "PASS" and proceeded to let out a few cheers and a bunch of "HELL YA"s. Then drank quite a bit of beer with my wife and a friend.

Sitting at my desk an hour ago. Got the email from NCEES and boom I passed! Feels really good, too bad I can't celebrate tonight because I have field work from 9PM to 4AM.

Back