Quiz #9

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
Per AASHTO, what is the probability, in percent, of a pedestrian surviving, if struck by a vehicle traveling at 30mph?

A.) 15

B.) 45

C.) 55

D.) 85

(PS the lesson here is if you have the right books and know where to look, a seemingly difficult question can really be a 30 second question)

Maybe I got impressed a little to soon. ;) I just realized that jcv's answer was an "Is it?", not an "It is".

Ok, so for the bonus, why is it 55%?

It right on Page 50 of the AASHTO Pedestrian Book .... granted its a bar chart, with no grid lines, but this chart definitely leans more 45 than 55

It right on Page 50 of the AASHTO Pedestrian Book .... granted its a bar chart, with no grid lines, but this chart definitely leans more 45 than 55

Yup, that's correct. Good find. :)

Yes, I agree that the chart reads closer to 45%. So what's your final answer? ;)

I see what you did there :Failed:

The answer is 55% chance of "surviving"

Oh ... I have a few months ... I'm in April ... there was no way I'd put in the study time during the summer, so I just put it off until April. I've been putting this off for 20 years, what's another 6 months?

Oh ... I have a few months ... I'm in April ... there was no way I'd put in the study time during the summer, so I just put it off until April. I've been putting this off for 20 years, what's another 6 months?

lol. I just assumed you were taking it tomorrow given your level of studying/participation. It's funny what you said because it supports my friend's theory. He says that it's best to take the exam in fall because no one wants to study during the summer. For the spring exam, examinees had nothing else to do but study while being trapped indoors over the winter. His theory is that the cut score is lower for the fall exam and thus easier to pass. lol Anyway, good luck in April and I am glad you will be hanging around for at least another 6 months. :)

Back