Brutalized attack on Gyno patients

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
Hopkins to pay $190M after doc taped pelvic exams

http://news.msn.com/us/hopkins-to-pay-dollar190m-after-doc-taped-pelvic-exams

BALTIMORE (AP) — A gynecologist who secretly used a pen-like camera to record hundreds of videos and photos of his patients' sex organs during pelvic exams will cost one of the world's most prestigious medical centers $190 million in a settlement with more than 8,000 women.
Not to sound completely heartless on this, but if the women didn't know something was happening to them, how were they "brutalized"? Obviously the hospital notified their patients, but wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest if it never left the campus?

Obviously this has caused some serious grief to many of these women, but it raises a serious question: would you want to know if something like this happened to you? On the plus side, you get a big financial bonus, but a very big negative is the fact you know your junk is out there (potentially) for the world to see.

Not to be a dick, but what exactly constitutes inappropriate touching during a gynecological exam? The other question which comes to mind is how did no other assistants ever notice this going on?

Hopkins to pay $190M after doc taped pelvic exams

http://news.msn.com/us/hopkins-to-pay-dollar190m-after-doc-taped-pelvic-exams

BALTIMORE (AP) — A gynecologist who secretly used a pen-like camera to record hundreds of videos and photos of his patients' sex organs during pelvic exams will cost one of the world's most prestigious medical centers $190 million in a settlement with more than 8,000 women.

Not to sound completely heartless on this, but if the women didn't know something was happening to them, how were they "brutalized"? Obviously the hospital notified their patients, but wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest if it never left the campus?

Obviously this has caused some serious grief to many of these women, but it raises a serious question: would you want to know if something like this happened to you? On the plus side, you get a big financial bonus, but a very big negative is the fact you know your junk is out there (potentially) for the world to see.

I guess it is a matter of trust. You trust a professional to do a job with integrity. When that trust is violated lawyers will have a field day and use words like the one you mentioned to make a point. As much as I dislike lawyers, do agree with this one.

Not to be a dick, but what exactly constitutes inappropriate touching during a gynecological exam? The other question which comes to mind is how did no other assistants ever notice this going on?

When a doctor is giving you a prostate exam, do you expect him to get in and out pretty quickly? Trust me...it's all clinical and it's going to be noticed if they deviate.

When a doctor is giving you a prostate exam, do you expect him to get in and out pretty quickly? Trust me...it's all clinical and it's going to be noticed if they deviate.

I gotcha. But if it was a length of time issue, I'm surprised nobody flagged it sooner. You'd think it would have been noticed by the patient or other techs/assistants on a comparitive basis.

It sounds like he didn't have a nurse present, which I think is against the law in my state.

I agree that during it all happening, no one would have really noticed. But imagine the shock you'd have to find out that someone took pictures of your goodies. It's hard enough to take off all my clothes and scoot to the edge of the table, but I figure, "He's a professional, so just get over it." This would have me questioning going back to anyone.

My GF is an ob/gyn doc. She always has someone in the room during exams.

Not to sidetrack this completely, but I think you're the first engineer/doctor couple I've heard of on the board.
It is nice to be with a vagina expert. :true:
are you a tunnel engineer?
Ha. No, but I do perform test borings and site explorations.

So both you and your wife perform standard penetration tests?

My GF is an ob/gyn doc. She always has someone in the room during exams.

Not to sidetrack this completely, but I think you're the first engineer/doctor couple I've heard of on the board.
It is nice to be with a vagina expert. :true:
are you a tunnel engineer?
Ha. No, but I do perform test borings and site explorations.
just make sure you always do a textural anaysis

Back