Will The State of Illinois Accept My 5 Years of Experience If I Worked Under Supervisors Who are Licensed In Other States?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB66money

Supporting Member to Examinees
Reaction score
I took the PE Power Exam in April 2014 and passed, but I have not completed all of the required documents such as the Aplication called The Exam Acceptance and the Employment Documentation (VE-PNG). I have concerns regarding my employment verification. I earned my engineering degree in the state of Illinois. I worked at Public Utility in the state of Missouri (which also serves Illinois) for 5 years under two supervisors (A and B). I worked 2 years under supevisor A and 3 years under supervisor B. Supevisor A has a PE in the state of Missouri, however Supervisor B has his PE in the state of Kentucky. To further complicate matters, I recently transfered within my company to work in the state of Illinois, however my new Supevisor does not have a PE license. My question is, will the state of Illinois accept my experience from my former Supervisors whos are licensed in other states besides Illinois? What can I do about my situation?

the board will be the best to answer that question, but I don't remember the rules saying they had to be IL PEs, just licensed PEs to cover 4 yrs of work.

I just got my SE in IL and used TX PE's as my references.

One thing to note-- I had experience in Washington, DC as well but my boss was licensed in NY. They did not accept that. They wanted the PE's to be licensed in the state you are working (silly since 90%+ of our work was outside of DC...).

My Supervisor's who is licensed in Kentucky boss is licensed in Missouri, who is our Department Manager that we both had to report to at the completion of any projects that I was involved with. So I can have to have him sign off on my employment verification since I had to indirectly report to him and he was the one who approved my performance appaisals, bonuses and raises during my entire five years of work experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I finally received my license. My engineering manager who is licensed in the state in which I worked in signed for me because both of my former supervisors are under him anyway. So all five years of my experience was counted. I thank God.

Back