I dare to dream big

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruskyline

EIT
Reaction score
This is going to be a long post, so if you don’t feel like reading just skip to the last paragraph.

Hi all, I’m very happy to find this forum. In less than 2 more weeks I will become a civil engineer and yesterday I took the FE exam.

I’m not too sure how it went I think I made a few mistakes in the second part but we’ll see.

I came here to see how many of you want to become/already a civil engineer AND do something else on the side??

This is what my ultimate goal is:

1. Become a structural engineer with P.E license

2. Learn project management

3. Become a real estate agent for a while and eventually real estate broker

I am currently waiting to be accepted for the master’s program in 3 different universities and I will start my grad studies this summer. I’m going over some real estate agent books so I can learn the basics and get started ASAP. And I have a job that is all about project management and structural engineering.

Just think about it, if you can buy properties, build them up/modify them and sell them. That’s what I dream about.

I am young and I have my whole life in front of me. I want to make it.

How about you?

stock-photo-business-man-writing-success-concept-by-goal-vision-creativity-teamwork-focus-inspiration-108870437.jpg

Those are good goals, it is great to dream big. You have a lot of work in front of you, stay Focused and you can make it happen.

I admire your aim for big things.

As an Engineer, I had a great deal of difficulty in the business of being a residential real estate "salesperson". (Note, not an "agent". - "Agents" work for the person, in the best interest of the person, in real estate, what we call an agent is actually a salesperson. They work for the contract, not the person. The difference is in what an agent can say that a licensed real estate salesperson can't say.) RE license is cheap to get, but VERY expensive to maintain ($10-20k/year) as a career, with all of the brokerage and listing services, and association fees/dues. You can have the license without the other fees, but you can't do much of anything on your own. Get your RE license soon-ish. It is not a difficult exam for someone who can do the FE/PE. Depending on your state, some of the classes for RE will count toward PE renewal, such as ethics.

RE people are often not college-educated. Only a HS diploma or GED is required. They don't know engineering, so they don't know that they have to disclose that crack over there is a structural problem. Based on engineering education and ethics, RE is a whole different game of ostrich.

I would consider specializing in commercial/industrial real estate. They are far more picky about things like structural integrity and will be more appreciative of your knowledge and skills. Facts and inspections are critical. In both residential and commercial, the personality of the RE person is the most important aspect of the sale. People buy from people they like. Even though 99.9% of engineers think a certain way, most people don't.

Good luck. You have an interesting plan not too different from a path I took for a while.

Hi there...I have a simpler dream...WIN THE LOTTERY preferable $100++ millions Powerball or Mega Millions :Locolaugh:

I admire your aim for big things.

As an Engineer, I had a great deal of difficulty in the business of being a residential real estate "salesperson". (Note, not an "agent". - "Agents" work for the person, in the best interest of the person, in real estate, what we call an agent is actually a salesperson. They work for the contract, not the person. The difference is in what an agent can say that a licensed real estate salesperson can't say.) RE license is cheap to get, but VERY expensive to maintain ($10-20k/year) as a career, with all of the brokerage and listing services, and association fees/dues. You can have the license without the other fees, but you can't do much of anything on your own. Get your RE license soon-ish. It is not a difficult exam for someone who can do the FE/PE. Depending on your state, some of the classes for RE will count toward PE renewal, such as ethics.

RE people are often not college-educated. Only a HS diploma or GED is required. They don't know engineering, so they don't know that they have to disclose that crack over there is a structural problem. Based on engineering education and ethics, RE is a whole different game of ostrich.

I would consider specializing in commercial/industrial real estate. They are far more picky about things like structural integrity and will be more appreciative of your knowledge and skills. Facts and inspections are critical. In both residential and commercial, the personality of the RE person is the most important aspect of the sale. People buy from people they like. Even though 99.9% of engineers think a certain way, most people don't.

Good luck. You have an interesting plan not too different from a path I took for a while.
First of all, I'm very glad to find someone with an engineering background and real estate. Association fees? 10K-20K per year?? How come these fees are not disclosed publicly?? Beside the exam and licensing fee, the only other fee that I found was a $245 every other year. My knowledge in the field of RE is close to zero, but how can an average broker or salesperson afford to pay such hefty fees??

I will have to do more research on Industrial/Commercial RE. By the way how did it work out for you? What happen?? I'm very eager to hear more from you. Thanks for the support!

Hi there...I have a simpler dream...WIN THE LOTTERY preferable $100++ millions Powerball or Mega Millions :Locolaugh:
haha the only difference between us is, I can eventually get there but you have to wait 100 million years to get there :party-smiley-048:

Back