Water/Wastewater treatment & Environmental engineering background, which discipline to take?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheretostart

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering which discipline I should take for PE if I have a degree in environmental engineering, major in water treatment and what study material I should have to prepare for the exam. Will a PE be helpful to land a job in water? Thanks

Hi all,

I am wondering which discipline I should take for PE if I have a degree in environmental engineering, major in water treatment and what study material I should have to prepare for the exam. Will a PE be helpful to land a job in water? Thanks
I also have an enviro eng degree and work exclusively in wastewater.

I'm going to take the civil water depth. It just seems like a better fit for me then the environmental pe. I'll have to learn some morning topics for the first time. But with the water depth, water is 60% of the total exam.

Almost all of the consultants I deal with have PE's. It would likely help you get a job.

For those PE candidates looking to purchase books,

please see the yard sale section under "civil engineering" I am selling a few items.

Many thanks

Hi all,

I also have an enviro eng degree and work exclusively in wastewater.

I'm going to take the civil water depth. It just seems like a better fit for me then the environmental pe. I'll have to learn some morning topics for the first time. But with the water depth, water is 60% of the total exam.

Almost all of the consultants I deal with have PE's. It would likely help you get a job.
Matt, Did you pass the Civil exam? I just got my Enviro license in Florida this year (working in groundwater remediation) but am probably going to be moving to CA soon and the only way I'd get to be a PE out there is to pass the Civil PE (and the other CA tests). Any advice on books/classes/anything to learn the morning breadth topics? I never took any of those classes.

I didn't take the pe this past April. I'm taking it in October. I took the School of PE course. I'm hoping their notes, along with the CERM, are enough for the morning. I might also buy the yet to be released All-in-one study guide just out of curiosity. If I fail in October, I might take EET's course. There has been lots of positive reviews for them here lately.

If you mean the last 2 versions, they're almost identical. I had the last 2 versions and then another one long ago that was a lot harder. The newer ones are pretty dead on as far as what to expect

If you mean the last 2 versions, they're almost identical. I had the last 2 versions and then another one long ago that was a lot harder. The newer ones are pretty dead on as far as what to expect
Good to know.

I bought the most recent version because the one we have at work is falling apart. I should spend more time with it.

Back