Failed multiple times, options?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eBreak

Reaction score
I am having a bad feeling about the recent exam. I took the Electrical - Power in Georgia for the fourth time and there's a good chance I may have not passed it. Georgia is one of those states that require 12 additional graduate level college courses before being able to apply to take the exam again. As my current situation, I just don't have the time currently to take college courses, and just wanted to see what my options would be. Can I apply to take the exam in a neighboring state? say Alabama, South Carolina, or Tennessee? and then apply for comity in my home state later? I'm sure my home state would still probably require me to take the additional 12 hrs before being licensed in Georgia which I feel I would have time to do so several years from now.

All of this may be a moot point once I find out my results. However after giving it a couple weeks to digest, I am now having a horrible feeling about my potential results. I did not felt good after the exam, and pretty much felt that this last exam was more difficult than the previous exams I have attempted. Anyone that has been in my predicament, care to share your experience and what steps you took to get licensed after failing four times?

Can you describe your exam preparation strategy? Did you do anything different the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times as far as strategy? Or did you simply put in more time? What are your references that you have been studying from? I've tutored a few collegues for this exam so maybe I can help.

Sorry for not answering your actual question, but yes you should able to apply at a neighboring state of you meet their requirements. Then you can apply for comity in your home state. The problem with this is that if you may not want to let that first state expire after comity because if you ever want comity from yet a 3rd state they like to look for where you were first licensed.

This can get expensive in terms of all the fees you'd have to pay for double licensure. Also consider if those states have continuing education requirements. When you add up the bill, maybe worth considering skipping one test cycle to take the required 12 hours and study some more. Not sure what your specific situation is..

This last attempt, I took the online refresher course offered by the SchoolofPE. I started studying in January up until three days prior to the exam date.

I used the SchoolofPE material, GT online course binder that I bought from someone off these boards, Complex Imaginary sample exams, NCEES exam book, and studied some chapters from the Wildi book. I practiced working problems, and put a lot more effort in this last attempt. I felt I was better equipped for this exam, but I can't still shake off the feeling that I did poorly on it.

Well with my work schedule, wife expecting twins later this year, and a toddler already; my time is pretty occupied. I just don't foresee myself having the time to take 12 credit hours of college classes. And financially, I wouldn't be able to take time off from work to fulfill the 12 hrs credit requirement. So I would have to take evening classes and that would take me at least two or three semesters to complete if I was to take 3 - 6 hrs each semester. I appreciate your response. I may try to apply for a neighboring state, sit out the following and hopefully can sit for the exam next April.

you really need to talk to the georia board if they would even give comity for another state without obtaining the extra education. some states can be fickle

I'm not sure you'd be able to take the exam in a different state. I've seen the question asked "if you have a pending application or have ever been denied licensure in a different state". I don't think failing the exam would constitute being denied licensure, but it would definitely be a pending application. Alabama or South Carolina might require you to explain why the application is pending or even cancel your Georgia application.

I know at least 10 people that failed the exam 4 times and then took it in Alabama. Alabama won't ask any questions....

Of the ones that had to apply back to Georgia had to wait the two years and I only know two of them that did that an didn't get asked to show proof of the college refresher course..

But it's a viable option that a lot of people use....

<-- ex Georgia resident here

I know at least 10 people that failed the exam 4 times and then took it in Alabama. Alabama won't ask any questions....

Of the ones that had to apply back to Georgia had to wait the two years and I only know two of them that did that an didn't get asked to show proof of the college refresher course..

But it's a viable option that a lot of people use....
Thanks for your response. It appears that is the route I will take. The Alabama exam testing site appears to be the closest distance travel wise so it will make the most sense for me to take it there.

I had not idea that some states were already requiring graduate level courses to sit for the PE exam. I know that would be a big turnoff for me if TX was that way. There is also the word floating around (I don't know if it is official) that all states will require graduate level credits to sit for the exam by 2020.

I had not idea that some states were already requiring graduate level courses to sit for the PE exam. I know that would be a big turnoff for me if TX was that way. There is also the word floating around (I don't know if it is official) that all states will require graduate level credits to sit for the exam by 2020.

I've seen discussion on this as well, and the possibility of requiring a Master's degree to sit for the exam. They are tricky in their language on this matter though. They don't come right out and say "We are tossing around the idea of requiring a masters degree to take the PE" ..but rather an eventual possible requirement of 30 credit hours of at the grad level. Well, 30 credit hours at the grad level IS a master's degree. In fact, my master's was exactly 30 hours. I suppose you could just randomly take 30 credits of grad level engineering courses that don't fit into any graduate program to satisfy that, but why would someone go through all that effort without capturing the degree? It would certainly add to the prestige of the credential (PRO), but perhaps be a turn off to college students on the fence about majoring in engineering (CON).

If the exam process needs anything it's not more graduate-level education if anything I say add one or possibly two more years of actual work experience to the time required to take the PE, With at least one of those years not sitting behind a desk maybe some boots on the ground type experience

http://ncees.org/about-ncees/engineering-education-initiative/

Knock yourselves out. Here's all there is to know about the masters or equivalent initiative. So far it's only in their model law which they describe as the Gold standard for states to follow. Each state would have to put it into their own law. If some do and some don't? That would be a real mess for getting licensed in multiple states. If I'm already licensed in a state without a masters and apply to a state that requires it, do I have to get a masters to be licensed there? That would be an issue for this ol' dog.......

I don't think so but I am sure you have pressure from those that probably don't even practice engineering (academia) to force more college work...

I think part of this stems from some schools that offer less than the desired number of course hours to graduate also...

I think part of this stems from some schools that offer less than the desired number of course hours to graduate also...
I think you make a good point with this. My old boss went to the same University as me and we were talking one day about the requirements it took to get an engineering degree (BS) back when he was in college. He said that during his time an engineering degree was programmed out to be 148 credit hours. Mine was only 128. Not sure why a university would ever want to knock that number down..especially considering most tuition's are priced based on a per credit hour basis. I guess they can still make the same amount by simply increasing tuition every semester at a pretty healthy rate... :juggle:

Knock yourselves out. Here's all there is to know about the masters or equivalent initiative. So far it's only in their model law which they describe as the Gold standard for states to follow. Each state would have to put it into their own law. If some do and some don't? That would be a real mess for getting licensed in multiple states. If I'm already licensed in a state without a masters and apply to a state that requires it, do I have to get a masters to be licensed there? That would be an issue for this ol' dog.......
this one too. I have no desire to go back to school.

this one too. I have no desire to go back to school.
+1

Back