Geotech AM Problem No. 116 Help Needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1999587

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am sorry for posting this question as a follow-up thread. This is the only active thread that I see. As you know, the exam is next week. trying to get a response.

This is related to Geotech AM Question in the NCEES Practice book Problem No. 116. This is a retaining wall problem. What I don't follow is that, for the triangle part of the retaining wall, the moment arm length is indicated to be 2/3. But I think it should be 2/3 of the length (or the base of the traingle). so, it should be 2/3 (2ft) equal to 4/3.

can someone clarify?

Thanks.

Hello,

You are correct and that is the moment arm in the solution as well. If you look at the figure, moment arm is 1.33 ft. If you look at the calculation, moment arm is (2)(2/3).

Hope this helps.

Hello All,

I am sorry for posting this question as a follow-up thread. This is the only active thread that I see. As you know, the exam is next week. trying to get a response.

This is related to Geotech AM Question in the NCEES Practice book Problem No. 116. This is a retaining wall problem. What I don't follow is that, for the triangle part of the retaining wall, the moment arm length is indicated to be 2/3. But I think it should be 2/3 of the length (or the base of the traingle). so, it should be 2/3 (2ft) equal to 4/3.

can someone clarify?

Thanks.

There are lots of active threads on this forum. ??? :confused:

Have you looked at the errata on NCEES's site? 116 is the one and only one errata for the 2011 AM Sample Q&Ss.

http://cdn4.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Study-Material_2011-PE-Civil-SQS-errata.pdf

Hello all,

I received the exam appointment letter from NCEES last week. It didn't mention anything about lunch break duration.

could someone help with the below questions?

1. Lunck break duration. I udnerstand that you can leave early if you finish AM portion super early. But in general, I just wnat to know how long is the break. 1 or 2 hours

2. Do we have to carry our reference material out of the exam hall or can we leave them at our seats and return to our same seats after the break.

3. My friend will be on exam site with me the whole time, so can he wait/hang out outside the exam hall at the Los Angeles Pomona Complex site? can I meet him outside the exam hall during lunch? can he hold on to my cell and packed lunch box/sandwich with him?

sorry, these are silly specific logistic questions? I want to know if I need to pack 1 bag with lunch etc Thanks for your help.

NCEES states you get an hour for lunch. From what I have read on here you can leave early, but within the last 15 minutes or so, you have to stay till the end.

You can go eat lunch somewhere, BUT it is strongly advised to bring a lunch. Imagine you get in an accident coming back. Your screwed.

Leaving the books, I'm 99% sure that is the case. Otherwise there would be no way you could leave early if you finish early. Imagine how distracting it would be if people were packing up all there stuff?

I have not done this before, just going by what I read on here.

Hello all,

I received the exam appointment letter from NCEES last week. It didn't mention anything about lunch break duration.

could someone help with the below questions?

1. Lunck break duration. I udnerstand that you can leave early if you finish AM portion super early. But in general, I just wnat to know how long is the break. 1 or 2 hours

2. Do we have to carry our reference material out of the exam hall or can we leave them at our seats and return to our same seats after the break.

3. My friend will be on exam site with me the whole time, so can he wait/hang out outside the exam hall at the Los Angeles Pomona Complex site? can I meet him outside the exam hall during lunch? can he hold on to my cell and packed lunch box/sandwich with him?

sorry, these are silly specific logistic questions? I want to know if I need to pack 1 bag with lunch etc Thanks for your help.

Dude, you pick the oddest threads to ask unrelated questions in. :p

1. Like Pred said. One hour, min (but not much more). You can leave early if you finish with more than 15 mins on the clock (AM and PM).

2. You can leave your material there. Your Pm seat is your AM seat.

3. Yes, at Pomona, anyone can stay outdoors in the courtyard area between buildings. You can meet him for lunch. He can hold your stuff.

I remember food venders there in the courtyard but I'd recommend packing your lunch. I left my lunch in the car.

This topic is now in the wrong section, but..

Do the procotors monitor the room during lunch? With the transportation refernce material, there are a lot of dollars sitting there on the table. I have been wondering about that during my pre-exam stage of worrying about everything. I come back after lunch feeling great and see my seat is missing my binder of notes and my Green Book!!!!! ahhhhhhhhh

This topic is now in the wrong section, but..

Do the procotors monitor the room during lunch? With the transportation refernce material, there are a lot of dollars sitting there on the table. I have been wondering about that during my pre-exam stage of worrying about everything. I come back after lunch feeling great and see my seat is missing my binder of notes and my Green Book!!!!! ahhhhhhhhh

Trust me, that goes through everyone's head. And some people do take their stuff with them. I took little things that could fit in my pocket (yeah, it's only a $15 calculator but it's priceless on exam day and it would be easy/ier for someone to steal). Also, I did not leave anything out on the desk/table like others did. I at least put all my stuff in my Banker's boxes and put the lid on. Out of sight, out of mind. But, as far as I saw, all examinees were required to leave the building and only staff stayed behind. It seemed pretty safe to me. I didn't have problems and I haven't heard of any problems.

Trust me, that goes through everyone's head. And some people do take their stuff with them. I took little things that could fit in my pocket (yeah, it's only a $15 calculator but it's priceless on exam day and it would be easy/ier for someone to steal). Also, I did not leave anything out on the desk/table like others did. I at least put all my stuff in my Banker's boxes and put the lid on. Out of sight, out of mind. But, as far as I saw, all examinees were required to leave the building and only staff stayed behind. It seemed pretty safe to me. I didn't have problems and I haven't heard of any problems.
hell yeah!!

Good point. I have two calcuators, I may go buy a third actually. Way to much time invested to leave to chance.

Thanks

Good point. I have two calcuators, I may go buy a third actually. Way to much time invested to leave to chance.

Thanks

I was too cheap to buy a third calc so I brought a ziplock bag with batteries and a mini screwdriver!

I gambled. I only brought one in October when I passed. Hind sight it was stupid.

I gambled. I only brought one in October when I passed. Hind sight it was stupid.

Risky NJ!

What do they say in the military? One is None and Two is One?

Oh, it's coming back to me. Being cheap but also responsible/extra cautious (not an easy combo!), I purchased a 3rd calculator but brought it with me sealed, and then returned it later. I almost forgot about that! Good memories. :)

Back