Brazil's energy crisis

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil is fighting against time to avoid crippling power blackouts and electricity rationing as a drought prevents the world's most water-rich nation from recharging its hydroelectric dams.

A decade of growth has diversified the electricity system away from hydropower, but policymakers, industrial companies and investors in the world's seventh-largest economy may find little cause to relax.

Rio de Janeiro-based energy consultancy PSR puts the odds of rationing at nearly 1 in 4.

"Rationing or not, the drought's impact on Brazil will be large," said PSR Director Jose Rosenblatt. "There's no way to avoid it."

Hydro reservoirs, which generate two-thirds of Brazil's power, are at near-record lows. To keep the lights on and factories open, all of the country's main thermal power plants are running full throttle as an estimated 600,000 visitors prepare to arrive for the June start of the soccer World Cup.

Interesting article here: http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-scrambles-avoid-power-rationing-costs-soar-001726144--finance.html;_ylt=AwrSyCUW5jBTIQ4AOQvQtDMD

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I wonder how this will affect the Olympics in Rio in a few tears. The WC will be a good test; however, WC sites are spread across the country, whereas the Plimpics are likely tro be centralized in Rio, with lots of peak demand.

I didn't know Brazil was the world's seventh largest economy. I've been playing that **** GeoGuessr game, and it seems to plop you down in Brazil half the time. I'm always surprised by how diverse the place is. Makes me want to visit - but I think I'll wait until they sort out their power problems.

I was used to them, but things have been stable now for about 5 years.... knock on wood (our power plant manager quit and left island a couple of months ago, so I guess I should start preparing...)

Back