'Band of Brothers' veteran William Guarnere dies

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During a drunken PM on Friday night, KFox and I has discussed our appreciation for the series "Band of Brothers". And then I saw this over the weekend and it made me a little more sad.

Bummer! It's always sad seeing any of those guys pass. I remember when Capt. Winters passed away. I felt like I almost wanted to go to the funeral.

The last episode of band I brothers the final interviews are real tear jerkers.... That line " no grandson i am not a hero... But I served with a lot of them" really gets me....

The last episode of band I brothers the final interviews are real tear jerkers.... That line " no grandson i am not a hero... But I served with a lot of them" really gets me....
No kidding! Actually, for me, all those one on one interviews with the original guys at the beginning of each episode always gets me.

No kidding!  Actually, for me, all those one on one interviews with the original guys at the beginning of each episode always gets me.
:plusone:

I guess they could have been younger when they enlisted but both my grandparents served in WW II and they have been gone a long time, Almost 20 years. With that kind of statistics it's kind if a miracle they made it back and had kids/ grand kids I.e yours truly....

I guess they could have been younger when they enlisted but both my grandparents served in WW II and they have been gone a long time, Almost 20 years. With that kind of statistics it's kind if a miracle they made it back and had kids/ grand kids I.e yours truly....
My grandfather served in the Pacific. He's been gone over 10 years now too, but he used tell us stories of how crazy the Japs were.

One of my grandfathers served on the USS Quincy and the other landed on Normandy with the Army. They both passed away over about 15 years ago. I still miss them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! I'd give anything to hear some more stories from the pacific.

One of my grandfathers was sitting on New Guinea when they dropped fat man and little boy... My dad wasn't born yet.... If they had opted for the land invasion instead of the h-bombs there is a good chance I wouldn't be here today...

My grandfather told me after the Japanese surrendered they offered him a battlefield commission to captain to stay in the army of occupation... His words were something like. "Sir I have been here for over 3 years and there is nothing you can offer me to stay in this mans army a minute longer than I have to as I haven't seen my son in over 2.5 years" -he was referring to my uncle....

All those guys were awesome... Make sure you tell your kids about them because I kind of think its getting glossed over in school...

Yep! I'd give anything to hear some more stories from the pacific.

One of my grandfathers was sitting on New Guinea when they dropped fat man and little boy... My dad wasn't born yet.... If they had opted for the land invasion instead of the h-bombs there is a good chance I wouldn't be here today...

My grandfather told me after the Japanese surrendered they offered him a battlefield commission to captain to stay in the army of occupation... His words were something like. "Sir I have been here for over 3 years and there is nothing you can offer me to stay in this mans army a minute longer than I have to as I haven't seen my son in over 2.5 years" -he was referring to my uncle....

All those guys were awesome... Make sure you tell your kids about them because I kind of think its getting glossed over in school...
When my boy is old enough, he will spend a day's long marathon with me watching Band of Brothers, and again watching The Pacific. It is the very least that I can do. I owe my freedoms today to men like the ones who fought back then, as well as the ones who continue to today.

I need to re-watch that series. We have the metal box set.

My grandfather was in the 10th Mtn Division in Italy. He passed away ~5 years ago.

My other grandfather (on my Mom's side) died in some of the early fighting in Vietnam (1965).

Make sure you tell your kids about them because I kind of think its getting glossed over in school...
Mrs Dex had a teacher flat-out refuse to teach anything about Vietnam because she still had such very strong feelings against the US involvement. Mrs Dex still has no idea what happened in that war.

When my boy is old enough, he will spend a day's long marathon with me watching Band of Brothers, and again watching The Pacific. It is the very least that I can do. I owe my freedoms today to men like the ones who fought back then, as well as the ones who continue to today.
^ +10

I also have the metal box set.

I need to re-watch that series. We have the metal box set.

My grandfather was in the 10th Mtn Division in Italy. He passed away ~5 years ago.

My other grandfather (on my Mom's side) died in some of the early fighting in Vietnam (1965).

Make sure you tell your kids about them because I kind of think its getting glossed over in school...
Mrs Dex had a teacher flat-out refuse to teach anything about Vietnam because she still had such very strong feelings against the US involvement. Mrs Dex still has no idea what happened in that political conflict war.

fxit for ya. :p (congress never technically declared war)

(and joking aside... that is basically what was said to us in high school about it)

^ same with Desert Storm IIRC.

I do believe you are correct. While Bush declared war in the media, congress never did sign any paperwork.

Edit- just to clarify so I am not corrected... congress did not sign a declaration of war, I'm sure they signed lots of paperwork associated with the funding

none of my relatives that served in war times were/are willing to talk about it. My cousin that served during the first Iraq episode will mention a thing here or there, but will not go into full blown conversations about his time there....the only thing we got out of him when he got back was they had Sadams caravan targeted and were told not to fire.

none of my relatives that served in war times were/are willing to talk about it. My cousin that served during the first Iraq episode will mention a thing here or there, but will not go into full blown conversations about his time there....the only thing we got out of him when he got back was they had Sadams caravan targeted and were told not to fire.
Mrs Dex's brother served over in the middle east as a mechanic. I have no idea what he saw or did aside from a handful of comments confirming he repaired hum-vee's and his girlfriend was a helicopter mechanic.

my grandfathers didnt talk much about the actual fighting, but just the typical strife of a soldier long away from home and the friendships he made while he was there..

Back