'One ring' phone scam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs Dex had a number that would call everyday at the same time, and when she would answer it would only be dead air for about 10 seconds then hang up. Eventually, we finally decided to call them back to find out it was a debt collection agency trying to get in contact with us over some bullshit DirecTv charge that was supposed to be erased when we returned the DVR's.

I got a google voice number years ago and pretty much only give that out as my number these days. The advantage being that I can set up any phone numbers not in my contacts to go directly to voicemail and if a number I don't know keeps calling me I can log onto google voice and block it.

The price for this wonderful tool? Google owns my soul. :D

One ring to rule them all...

Eye-of-Sauron,-Lord-of-the-Rings,-Return-of-the-King.jpg

I got a google voice number years ago and pretty much only give that out as my number these days. The advantage being that I can set up any phone numbers not in my contacts to go directly to voicemail and if a number I don't know keeps calling me I can log onto google voice and block it.

The price for this wonderful tool? Google owns my soul. :D
+10

I just don't answer or return a call to unknown names.....
This too. Because most times it was a nuke plant looking to get info from me on how to fix their latest catastrophe.

Working construction with a contractor who has staff that are from pretty much anywhere in the US (and their respective area codes), and the fact that I don't have the phone list (200+ people) uploaded to my phone I'm almost forced to answer everything.

Working construction with a contractor who has staff that are from pretty much anywhere in the US (and their respective area codes), and the fact that I don't have the phone list (200+ people) uploaded to my phone I'm almost forced to answer everything.

I do the opposite. I let it all go to v-mail and then call them back if they leave a message.

I do the opposite. I let it all go to v-mail and then call them back if they leave a message.

I wish i could do that.

I actually do answer all calls at work. It is at home that I don't.

I wish i could do that.

Why did the answering machine run out of tape? You might consider getting a new-fangled digital one.

I wish i could do that.

Why did the answering machine run out of tape? You might consider getting a new-fangled digital one.

If we miss a call at work, they call our bosses and say we're not answering the phone. I've had people complain that I refuse to answer my phone, and they called three times. I was on another line, and it was at most a ten minute call.

Back