Envision Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CE Magazine was trumpeting this certification in the latest issue. I had never heard of it before. Is this more a contractor/public works type thing?

Neither. My understanding is that it was developed to fill in the gaps that LEED has.

LEED is really meant for buildings with human occupancy (ie. not un-manned pump stations). The ISI certification is meant to cover everything from roadways and pipelines to buildings. LEED is also very prescriptive in its rating system whereas the ISI system appears to be a bit more subjective in that you can still get full points if you are truly doing the absolute best that you can do environmentally.

Most importantly, certification of projects is cheaper than LEED.

There's been a bit of buzz about it in the consulting industry lately, and I figured since I can no longer become a LEED AP w/out LEED project experience (which aren't very numerous due to the fact that buildings may be constructed to those standards but never certified as LEED due to cost), this ENVISION certification might be the next best thing.

I'm not going for the USGBC GA certification because to me carries little to no weight at a very high cost.

I can not comment on your LEED comments right now, but you may want to hold off for 6 months, if not being able to get a LEED specialty is your only motivation for pursuing this envision.

I do believe that Envision Certification can be the program to fill the sustainability void for project not LEED applicable.

The test wasn't too bad, just remember to allot yourself some time to complete it. For myself, with family distraction at home, it took most of the day to finish. It was 75 questions but they do give you plenty of time to complete it.

I killed it.

I actually studied 2 weeks for it. Killed it in ~2 hours. You actually get 3 days to finish it.

I didn't know how easy it really was until I immediate got my result via email in 30 seconds.

If you took the LEED AP exam, than this would take 1/40 of the time you took to study for the pass LEED AP.

Back