What is your dress code at the office?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarjamman

Reaction score
We do not have a written dress code other than "appropriate for work and shows a sense of professionalism" in the employee handbook. I tend to wear neat/clean jeans, tucked in button down shirt with no tie, and boots (nicer LL Bean engineer boots). I have slacks and a few nice dress shirt and shoes for when I have a meeting to attend, but a lot of my work requires various field visits that can get messy.

I asked the boss a few years back what he expects employees to wear and he didn't give a straight forward answer but mentioned that he never feels like he needs to address it with me.

jeans gym shoes and a nice shirt....which is ok per the code. There are those that were flip flops and tshirts which are not per code but they don't get talked to about it.

until the boss man continually wears somethign other than jeans and crocs, jeans will be my dress code.

Business casual - dress shoes, slacks, and collared shirt. You can get by with less - people just assume you have a flight or are making a site visit, but you don't want to make a habit of it.

Business casual - dress shoes, slacks, and collared shirt. You can get by with less - people just assume you have a flight or are making a site visit, but you don't want to make a habit of it.

The same here. The Friday's that we work are considered "casual" which means you can wear nice jeans.

We are business casual too, although a year or so ago the company policy relaxed a little more and we are technically allowed to wear jeans. Our Director doesn't really like us wearing jeans, so for our department we are still unofficially on the business casual dress code.

The same here. The Friday's that we work are considered "casual" which means you can wear nice jeans.

This is my office, too.

My normal attire for cold weather is jeans and a t-shirt. Warm weather is shorts and a t-shirt. When I visit a client, it's whatever is considered normal at the site.

Jeans or business casual. Depend on whether or not you're meeting with clients...

We are flexible. If you are in the office, casual pants and company logo golf shirts are the norm. (with cowboy boots of course) Jeans are fine as long as you are not going to a client's office. Fridays here get very casual.

Pretty flexible. Business casual is the norm for those that don't get into the field much.

I'm usually wearing slacks or jeans and a plain carhartt tee shirt or sometimes a collared tee. When it gets cooler, or I know I have a client meeting, I'll wear a buttoned long sleeve dress shirt or a vest with the company logo. Shorts are not permitted.

I've been known to wear a tie on two separate events each year, but that's it. Boss wears a tie daily and gives me flak for not doing that, but it's not required.

Fridays also get pretty casual with just about any kind of tee shirt permitted.

Last time I wore a tie was to Grandma's funeral in '07.

I don't even wear ties to interviews anymore.

Long pants, long-sleeve shirt, and steel toe boots.

You can wear your own personal clothes OR you can wear the company-provided jeans / shirts with your ID tagged on them like I do. Even have an annual allowance for boots. Not the most comfortable, but it cuts down a TON on home laundry. :)

Any candidates I interview don't even get a 2nd thought from me if they aren't wearing a suit and tie. You have to dress like you want the job. Not like you "sorta" want it. ;)

I actually DON'T want the job if it entails wearing a tie.

It's not the job that requires it. It's making a first impression with a professional appearance. That's what gets you the first nod typically. Once you're in, then dress codes are pretty lax. Just sayin'.

Any candidates I interview don't even get a 2nd thought from me if they aren't wearing a suit and tie. You have to dress like you want the job. Not like you "sorta" want it. ;)

I actually DON'T want the job if it entails wearing a tie.

It's not the job that requires it. It's making a first impression with a professional appearance. That's what gets you the first nod typically. Once you're in, then dress codes are pretty lax. Just sayin'.
Yeah, I know. I hear, ya, too.

It just seems that those situations show me form is held over substance. If that's the case, so be it.

Depends, I guess.

When I was involved in doing interviews, I really didn't care what the folks were wearing, but when talking about their qualifications after the interviews, I always referred to them by what they wore, only because I can't remember names worth shizzit. Now that I think about it, it was usually shirt or blouse color, unless they wore something or had a feature that was really memorable.

I was more concerned about their qualifications and if they could work well in the environment.

But, yeah, I fully grasp that a goodly part of the world isn't like me.

;)

Depends, I guess.

When I was involved in doing interviews, I really didn't care what the folks were wearing, but when talking about their qualifications after the interviews, I always referred to them by what they wore, only because I can't remember names worth shizzit. Now that I think about it, it was usually shirt or blouse color, unless they wore something or had a feature that was really memorable.

I was more concerned about their qualifications and if they could work well in the environment.

But, yeah, I fully grasp that a goodly part of the world isn't like me.

;)

Funny you mention this - I always wore a suit and tie when I had interviews. The kicker is that I would wear a vibrant tie or use a pocket napkin that stood out in color. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but almost always got an offer or a follow up interview. Just one more way to stand out I guess.

yeah there are certain rules that society has to follow. if you show up to a job interview without a suit and tie, it better be at mcdonalds, otherwise your just a hobo.

i always wear suit and tie to interviews, and i never wear jeans to work, even though most of my colleagues do. that could be why im 32 and everyone else on my level is mid 50s

Back