October 2012 - Post how long it took your state to issue a License No.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkt1

Reaction score
I'm curious how this works with different states. In Connecticut it takes up to 65 days (!!) to receive a package in the mail and then who knows how much longer after completing registration information fees it will take to issue a license number. I actually called and they confirmed that they haven't even begun looking at the list of those who passed the exam yet and probably won't until the end of January. It's very frustrating because the state's incompetence is costing people money.

I've heard states issue license nubers almost simultaneously with exam results. I'm curious how each state has fared so far from the October 2012 exam.

For WA, results were released 12/13. My license number showed up in the online lookup 12/27. So 2 weeks exactly, and with Christmas in the middle. Not too bad. Still haven't recieved the certificate in the mail though.

I was shocked when I had the wall certificate the week after I found out. My number and wall certificate were issued 12/14 the same day I found out. Way to be on the ball SC!

Tennessee issues numbers when you apply. I guess they figure you will pass eventually!
Connecticut also issues a license number for you take the exam but it is listed as PENDING until you complete registration info and pay the fees, at which point it becomes ACTIVE.

Tennessee lists it this way:

Unapproved Applicant in one field (even after you're approved to sit)

Application in process in another

After you pass, get the letter and pay the $140 fee it changes to Active-Fully Licensed, date issued and date expires. We renew every 2 years.

We also have a $400/year Professional Privelage Tax. Was $200. Not sure when it changed.

TX emailed me the test result on Dec 13th. I went online that day to the Texas Board site and my number showed up already and status displayed as Active.

Utah approves you to take the PE exam and once you pass you are able to submit your license application.

I found out I passed in December but wasn't able to get my experience verified by licensed PEs until after the new year (vacations and such). I submitted my application on January 4th and have no idea how long it will take to be processed. They haven't processed my application fee payment yet if that is any indication. I suspect I will get my license number around the end of January but won't know until it happens.

Virginia - 2 days (for those that already had taken and passed the VA Rules and Regulations exam that is.)

NY - Results were released 12/14, my license appeared in the system 1/3. They started adding licenses several days before that, 1/3 was just when mine happened to show up in the system since they only did a few at a time.

GA:

Email from NCEES : 9 am on 12/13/12

Email from sos.ga : 6:15 pm on 12/13/12

You could look up your number early afternoon.

They no longer mail hard copies of the license, you sign up with the website and you can print it yourself.

I don't know if they will send the sealed certificate or not...

Colorado:

Results from NCEES on 12/13/2012.

Numbers for everyone showed up on DORA website 12/31/2012. Finally got a 'pocket license' in the mail on 1/9/2013.

Tennessee lists it this way:

Unapproved Applicant in one field (even after you're approved to sit)

Application in process in another

After you pass, get the letter and pay the $140 fee it changes to Active-Fully Licensed, date issued and date expires. We renew every 2 years.

We also have a $400/year Professional Privelage Tax. Was $200. Not sure when it changed.
Approximately how long does TN take to issue the license after you submit the paperwork and pay the fee? CT is the same way.

Maine:

Received my results by mail - 12/28

License No. by mail on - 01/09 - they said cert. would take another 3 weeks.

mtk1,

I got my passing letter 12/19/12. My wife sent the $140 fee that day.

Board mailed out a notification on 12/28/12 indicating they were pleased to annouce my registration as an engineer, stamp example, etc.

Board mailed license and wallet card on 01/03/13.

The processing turn around was pretty quick since the holidays were stuck in the middle.

There was information indicating the wall certificate would be handed out at the TNSPE (TNSPE.org) meeting later this year. I looked at their website calendar and a state meeting is scheduled in September 2013. I'm going to email board and get specifics on that tomorrow. I will try to attend that meeting for sure.

I don't specifically remember how long my land surveying wall certificate took from the TN Land Surveyors Board. It's been a long time (2004). Maybe it was same scenario. Handed out at our state function, wasn't there and received in mail.

Thanks

mtk1,

I got my passing letter 12/19/12. My wife sent the $140 fee that day.

Board mailed out a notification on 12/28/12 indicating they were pleased to annouce my registration as an engineer, stamp example, etc.

Board mailed license and wallet card on 01/03/13.

The processing turn around was pretty quick since the holidays were stuck in the middle.

There was information indicating the wall certificate would be handed out at the TNSPE (TNSPE.org) meeting later this year. I looked at their website calendar and a state meeting is scheduled in September 2013. I'm going to email board and get specifics on that tomorrow. I will try to attend that meeting for sure.

I don't specifically remember how long my land surveying wall certificate took from the TN Land Surveyors Board. It's been a long time (2004). Maybe it was same scenario. Handed out at our state function, wasn't there and received in mail.

Thanks
Thanks for the info mdriver!

So far looks like CT on track to earn the "most disgraced state" award when it comes to licensing its engineers. It will be pretty pathetic if they take longer than PA, seeing as how that state took almost a month to release results after most states had already received theirs.

Missouri released results 12/13

Cert numbers were listed on-line 1/7

Cert recieved on 1/11

Fancy diploma style certification will be issued at our capital in an oath ceremony in April, does anyone elses state do this?

Nothing from NJ. I have the results from NCEES and PCS. I passed, but what about a license number? The letter did say up to 60 days, but I wonder what takes so long. I'm definitely not expecting any diploma or ceremony. I called the state office once when I was applying and let's just say the one woman working there did not seem thrilled with her work and engineers who ask her questions. Anyone from NJ know how this next step works?

Back