AZ PE Requirements Vague

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilbertgrape87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am appealling to people who are already registered in the state of AZ or those that can site references in their response regarding the work experience requirements.

I recently passed the FE in Spring and the PE in Fall. I have read through the statutes regarding work expierience and am kind of confused.

After reading through it all, I have interpreted the statutes as stating that 4 years experience is required and NONE of them have to be under a PE. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Has anyone here been able to recieve their license in AZ without having worked under a PE at all? I have enough work experience as an engineer in my field, but none of it has been under a PE.

Thanks in advance for everyones input.

Actually, according to the statutes, your experience must be supervised by the registered professional under 32-122.01 subsection D, which is generally interpreted to be a PE. There is, however, an exception clause if you can convince the state board otherwise under subsection E. It is illegal to practice without a registration and not working under the supervision of a PE.

I am registered in AZ and have never heard anyone being licensed without 4 years of supervised work under a PE. I believe even with registration from another state they still require work / character references from PE's that have known you for a period of time.

Back