License Duration - WTF

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumpnz

Reaction score
So, apparently on December 27 the state of Washington issued my license number. When I was looking at page I noticed that the experation date on my license was my birthday. This year (2013). What the hell? I thought the license was supposed to be good for 2 years. With my birthday in late June, that's only just barely 6 months. WTF, over?

It could be worse. You could live in PA like me and still be waiting to find out if you even passed or not.

A lot of states have a 2 yr cycle that is independant of the day you are licenced. Your state apparently is your birthday of the odd numbered year. in IL it is Nov of the odd numebred years. You likely didn't pay extra for initial license, so you only benefited 6 months before the first renewal where was others may get more out of the initial period.

^^^ Colorado does the same thing. When I first got licensed, the state was running with dual 2-year cycles so that those who got their licenses on odd years would renew on odd years (and same with evens). However, a couple years ago they decided it was easier if everyone renewed at the same time, so those of us who renewed on even years got a "free" year and didn't have to renew until 2013.

^^^ Colorado does the same thing. When I first got licensed, the state was running with dual 2-year cycles so that those who got their licenses on odd years would renew on odd years (and same with evens). However, a couple years ago they decided it was easier if everyone renewed at the same time, so those of us who renewed on even years got a "free" year and didn't have to renew until 2013.
Surprised they didn't do that in such a way as you got screwed out of a year's worth of license time.

WA just jacked their license fees too. They've memory-holed the table since the New Year, but before August 1 it was IIRC $76 to renew, and is now $116. Don't know how that compares to other states' fees, but seems like a heck of a jump at any rate.

ours is $60 for 2 yrs renewal, but we have 30 hrs PDH requirements. I don't think WA has a PDH requirement yet.

$75 last time I renewed (2010). Not sure what it will be this year and won't find out until about May...

ours is $60 for 2 yrs renewal, but we have 30 hrs PDH requirements. I don't think WA has a PDH requirement yet.
No continuing education requirements here. Yet. No idea if that's on the table. On some level it seems like it would be a good idea to require licensed folks to take classes, but at the same time I'm glad to not have to keep track of that kind of stuff.

I noticed the PA licenses need renewed by Sept 30 of odd numbered years (2013) for those of us that passed the Oct. 2012 exam, and found out a few days ago, will we have to fulfill the PDH requirements or will it be just a prorated amount?

The first year that the license is issued, it is not necessarily a full two years. You should have a pro-rated renewal amount and should not have to collect the PDH's. The same thing happened to me.

The first year that the license is issued, it is not necessarily a full two years. You should have a pro-rated renewal amount and should not have to collect the PDH's. The same thing happened to me.
Great. Thanks for the info. I haven't received my letter yet form NCEES so maybe that will give me more information too.

Back