How much do you estimate your take home pay will drop next year?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbo

Reaction score
Okay, I don't intend this to be for debate on the merits. No politics please, that's why I didn't post it there. I'm just interested in how much everyone else thinks they will be affected by the seemingly inevitable plunge.

I get paid monthly. Between the expiration of the payroll tax and the increase in marginal rates I estimate I'll be taking home around $600 less each month (I hope it's not more).

That's not counting what I'll lose on dividend income or if the market tanks.

That hurts, honestly.

Oh well. I do have a raise coming, and we'll probably get off these furloughs we're on in July so maybe it'll be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you include the increases in insurance premiums, I think my actual take-home will drop between $400 and $600 per month. That number includes a small increase in before-tax income.

We're expecting a COLA increase in the neighborhood of 3%, which will offset the Medicare taxes going back to 6.2%, but other than that even our payroll guys don't have a clue as to what to expect...

The Medicare tax increase will cost me about $2k by itself... (over the course of the year)

I have no clue...In illinois we never saw the fed benefits that are expiring as the state income taxes went up by almost the same amount. With our contract in limbo, we have no clear picture of what the next 2 yrs will be. the very least a pay freeze and likely increases to the insurance cost so i will be a negative year...thats all i know

In all honesty, I won't know until I see my paycheck. Of course, all that is electronic now, so I'll have to dig it up. They don't mail it like they used to.

Insurance up, fed taxes up, state taxes same...

Even if they strike a deal on taxes, it will be a bit before they figure out the withholding tables. It's going to be a PITA for the employers to get payrolls sorted out.

The marriage penalty will be coming back, too.

There's a marriage "Penalty" ???

I guess I haven't thought about all the hits we'll take next year.
because of the progressive tax rates, it used to be that two people making a combined income were taxed more than if they were single.

For example, my wife and I each make $50k per year. The tax rate for $50k is 12%, but if we combine incomes (married filing jointly), the tax rate for $100k is 15%. So we would be "penalized" 3% for being married... (all numbers are made up for the example)

For the last few years, the feds updated the tax rates for the "married filing jointly" to be more of a flat tax to eliminate that penalty, but that part of the tax code is set to expire 12/31/2012.

^Pretty painful ain't it. And all they have to do to increase the taxes by this much is......nothing.

The marriage penalty will be coming back, too.

There's a marriage "Penalty" ???

I guess I haven't thought about all the hits we'll take next year.
because of the progressive tax rates, it used to be that two people making a combined income were taxed more than if they were single.
Not just that. The standard deduction for married filing jointly was less than the collective standard deductions for two single people filing separately.

I just did that calculator option and with the so called "raise" I just got, I'm gonna loose 3.5k more each year in taxes. The raise deosn't even cover it, nor does it cover the required insurance BS!

This just made my day...

Looks like I can forget replacing my car. Theres $4.5k out the window. Its ok though. The government knows better what to do with my money than I do.

Guess an IRA is not an option next year. Another way to get us to become more dependent on the gubment...

Back