Personal Boycotts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Where won't you shop and whose products won't you buy and most importantly why?

I have avoided shopping in Columbia or Richland County for a few years. I refuse to let my sales tax dollars promote their buffoonery.

This started with a boycott of a local area that installed parking meters. I don't pay to park and shop.

I spend as little time and money in Chicago as I possibly can. Reason: Still p!ssed about Meigs field.

I've avoided Conn's since 2000. My brother and I went in to get a TV and VCR and nobody wanted to help us out. The store wasn't even crowded. They just didn't care. Just another reason why I research all I can and order online when I can.

National city, now PNC bank. They screwed us over in college. Both mr snick and my accounts sat in active for 3 months over the summer break and they started taking a monthly inactive fee out after the first month, that we didn't find out about until we went back that fall to buy books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've avoided Conn's since 2000. My brother and I went in to get a TV and VCR and nobody wanted to help us out.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONN!

khaaan.jpg

BoA.

Last time I went to deposit a check (well over a decade ago) they had one line open for BoA customers, three lines open for non BoA customers. Asked why, and was told some BS reason about cashing checks on payday. Since non-BoA customers seemed to be treated better, told them to write me a cashiers check for all but $1K in my checking account and I'll be back for the $1K next week.

Credit union FTW!

Ben & Jerry's for their anti-nuclear power stance

Chick-fil-a. Let's not get into that discussion again. Besides I get hungry on Sundays and they aren't open. But then as a single man I don't live up to their family values since I don't have a wife in the kitchen cooking for me on Sundays.

Wal-mart. They were forced to use local labor when they built their store here, so in retaliation they didn't pay the contractors. Not to mention their low-quality products. For instance, I knew someone who worked at Sauder furniture and he told me about the special Wal-mart line of crappy products they made.

Bank of America. I've just heard too many horror stories from them. In fact I try to avoid banks in general and use a credit union instead.

I refuse to buy anything that has a stupid commersial on TV. I can just see some conference room with 5-6 people watching these stupid things and approving them. Any 5hr energy commercial is an example. If they are that stupid or think I'm that stupid, they dont need my money. There are a few department stores that we avoid because of the overly aggressive social stance. Some I go out of my way to support (Chickfila) because of their social stance.

+1 on the credit unions...Just got my letter last night about the yr end dividends, an extra $14.50 just for having an account. It was something like 12% of the interest earned this yr. If we had a loan with them it would have been like 2% back on the interest paid this yr.

There are few local car dealerships I would refuse to go to when looking for a car. Their commercials are insulting.

I don't buy ben and jerry's becasue it tastes exactly like any other ice cream and therefore is too expensive.

Wal-mart. Not for ideological "big-box store versus mom & pop store" reasons, but just because I hate their customer service or lack of.

It seems anytime I go to wal-mart I have to wait 30 minutes just to check out. They have a sea of registers, but only two are ever open at a time. There will be 7 or 8 people in line in front of you and most with at least one full shopping cart. Meanwhile I'm standing there with one item. God help you if you need to go to customer service for anything. You'll be waiting for a week!

There are times when our walmart is like that, but they always have a 10 item or line open for their tobacco products. so that is usually the line i hit for the 1 item days, that or the self checkouts.

If I had a local choice I would shop elsewhere just for selection and quality but somedays i just don't have a choice.

There are few local car dealerships I would refuse to go to when looking for a car. Their commercials are insulting.
THIS. Not that I'd ever buy a Jeep or a KIA, but the commercials are so incredibly obnoxious, I want to put the remote through the f*cking screen.

Also won't shop with "HomeTheaterSupplies.net". Guy vanished for a while after taking my money, had to go through BBB and the credit card company to get it back, and then he sent a snippy reply to the BBB to cap it off.

McDonalds - The kids can get their happy meals, but I won't eat anything from there.

Walmart - Similar reasons to those posted by others. Horrible customer service, crappy products, poor selection in their food sections, etc

Any energy drink - Not really sure why, just proud of the fact that I've never had one and don't feel they're necessary.

Ford - Poor overall quality for so long that lead to horrible resale values. Most who bought a new Ford were essentially "locked" into only being able to buy Fords because they were the only dealerships willing to work a deal to help out the underwater owners.

Lowes - They sponsor Jimmy Johnson in NASCAR. He is a douchebag, therefore I do not support the company that supports him.

It seems anytime I go to wal-mart I have to wait 30 minutes just to check out. They have a sea of registers, but only two are ever open at a time.
I have left at least two fully loaded buggies in the check out line and walked out for this very same reason.

Not that I'd ever buy a Jeep or a KIA, but the commercials are so incredibly obnoxious, I want to put the remote through the f*cking screen.
JT? I didn't know he did commercials up there.

Dodgezilla was pretty funny.

Due to Obama and my future tax increases I'm boycotting any and all charity, I'm not giving a dollar for kids or anything at Kroger and all the other places that want your charity...

I spend about 6 hours a week with cub and Boy Scouts so that's my charity...

Back