Civil Structural Design Standards questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneser980

Reaction score
As I prepare for round 2 (failed Oct 2012 47/80) I am gathering my materials and have a couple questions:

1. I have aci 318 11 instead of 318 08, should I try to trade someone in my office for 08 (probably an older copy floating around) or will 11 be ok for the exam

2. I have a copy of ACI 530 05 - should i try to get 08 or is 05 ok?

3. I have lindeburg CERM 11th edition, should i upgrade to 12?

I have plenty of time to get everything but figured id ask what you guys thought.

also, i already took the exam with these references, didn't even use aci 530 and i wouldn't know if i got anything wrong from aci 318 (i dont think upgrading lindeburg would be wirth the cost)

looking for your 2 cents

thanks in advance

Well, I would recommend that you get each and every design standard that the NCEES uses to write the exam. I would also recommend that you read & understand each one as well.

Yes, there will be quite a bit of cost with this.

... but the cost is small when compared to the amount of money you'll get when you pass.

I took and passed first go-around for Civil-Structural in Oct' 11. I'm certainly no brain and my study habits have always been meager to say the least - my advice is to keep common sense and keep the thought process simple. The only books I used during 90-95% of the exam were Goswami and ASCE 7. Goswami 3/4 of the time. Never bought or even seen the CERM book before. I still recommend bringing all of the books on the list. Every exam is different.

Back