DIY Rain Barrels

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is in to this, but I found instructions for a down and dirty rain barrel.

/>https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2gdNar_rMtAMjQxNzUxYmItYjU1ZC00YzYzLTgwNjMtZjg1ODA2MjYxMzdk/edit?hl=en&pli=1

You guys with HOAs are probably SOL.

Pfft...this is what I have for a rain barrel 223 gal stock tank

Behind my garage there is a north facing slope so nothing really grows anyways. Made a nice paver pad and use a sump pump or gravity to water various things. Only during times of drought is there an issue with mosquito larva, otherwise with heavy rain it overflows and washes them out.

I've seen similar setups. I think there are ways to avoid any issues with HOA's disapproving of these. My HOA has a regulation that you can't have your trashcan visible from the street except for on trash collection days. So this setup may be a problem, but I could still have this set up around the back of my house where they wouldn't be seen. I've seen people paint the rain barrel and/or shield it with landscaping in a way that it isn't noticeable.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Been meaning to get one of these but was just going to go the easy route and buy one. The DIY doesn't look too difficult or time-consuming at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really need this one, but this seems like an opportune chance to create a DIY thread for those of us with a "prepper" attitude. Got any more Capt?

I think we have one somewhere...

Since I'm done with the basement look forward to my "attic finishing thread" coming soon!

I want a thread for our home improvement projects too!
I will be building a lift out in the garage so I can store the kiddo's outdoor summer toys for the winter. Essentially a 4'x8' platform that will be lifted via pulley system to hang over the top of the wife's car in the garage. Gotta utilize the 12'+ ceilings in the garage somehow...

I want a thread for our home improvement projects too!
I will be building a lift out in the garage so I can store the kiddo's outdoor summer toys for the winter. Essentially a 4'x8' platform that will be lifted via pulley system to hang over the top of the wife's car in the garage. Gotta utilize the 12'+ ceilings in the garage somehow...
I've got the same situation. The new house has twice the square footage but almost no storage space AND I lost my shop. Do you have plans for this platform or are you just wingin it?

I'm mostly winging it, but I have the rough plans put toghether already. I'll build a 4' by 8' frame out of 2x4's, put a 1/2" plywood deck on it, then probably another round of 2x4's around the top as a "spill guard". At each corner, I'll install a lag hook and attach a single pulley, with a matching lag hook and pulley mounted to the ceiling. Then I'll "lace" a rope from the floor up through each of the pulleys and ultimately lag the end to the platform. Once everything is laced together, I will hoist the system up and tie it off to another lag hook by the door.

parts list:

5 - 2x4 studs

1 - 4x8 sheet of plywood

7 - pulleys

8 - lag hooks

1 - lag hoop

100lf - 3/8" nylon rope

The pulleys I bought at home depot last night are rated for 125lbs so when you consider there will be 4 connection points on the roof, I estimate this will hold a payload of about 400lbs (once you subtract the weight of the platform and add a factor of safety). Also, because this will work as a series of pulleys and I have no intention of getting anywhere close to the full weight limit, I *shouldn't* need any help hoisting this up.

I'll post pics when I get this put together.

Depending on weight and clearances, I might install bike hooks on the underside and suspend the bikes underneath.

Ditch the bottom structure and go with a 2x6 "spill guard" on top. This will cut down some weight and serve two purposes. I'd be a little hesitant putting a "don't pull this" temptation for little'ens. I'd consider a lock out tag out setup, especially if your planning on parking a Model-S under it.

Edit:

Actually, I would consider a more permanent storage idea.

1222008112314.jpg
garage_storage2.jpg

garage-storage-shelves-12-500x334.jpg
...ETC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back