Emanuel goes after Chick-fil-A for boss’ anti-gay views

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
“Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago values. They’re not respectful of our residents, our neighbors and our family members. And if you’re gonna be part of the Chicago community, you should reflect Chicago values,” Emanuel said Wednesday.

“What the CEO has said as it relates to gay marriage and gay couples is not what I believe, but more importantly, it’s not what the people of Chicago believe. We just passed legislation as it relates to civil union and my goal and my hope … is that we now move on recognizing gay marriage. I do not believe that the CEO’s comments … reflects who we are as a city.”

Ald. Joe Moreno (1st) is using the same argument to block Chick-fil-A from opening its first free-standing restaurant in Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood.
http://www.suntimes....-gay-views.html

Personally, I find it a sign of out-of-control government when a business is being blocked because the person views of the executives don't square with the political agenda of the powers that be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what baffles me the most about the Chick-fil-A thing is that they've been an overtly Christian company since the beginning. The one in our town has huge posters hanging up about the WinShape, WinMarriage, WinWhatever programs they support and they've been up for years. I'm struggling with this being new information.

A friend and I have been talking about this and I think a lot of it has been facebook groupthink. No one is looking at particulars or at much logic.

wonder what would happen if all the people who believed the same thing as Chic-Fil-a moved out of the city/county... and refused to buy anything there out of principal that their beliefs don't match with the cities...
most people don't care one way or the other...its just another restaurant.

I think what baffles me the most about the Chick-fil-A thing is that they've been an overtly Christian company since the beginning. The one in our town has huge posters hanging up about the WinShape, WinMarriage, WinWhatever programs they support and they've been up for years. I'm struggling with this being new information.

A friend and I have been talking about this and I think a lot of it has been facebook groupthink. No one is looking at particulars or at much logic.
I think it just blew up recently due to someone from Chick-fil-a going on record last week against gay people.

So is he going to direct staff to deny building and other permits to chic-fil-a?

I am pretty sure that wont hold up in court... I think it would be different if Chic-fil-a had a policy of not hiring gays or serving gays, but you cant discriminate based on someones religous beliefs, I beleive thats in the constitution somewhere (or it used to be ;) )

Chicago it notorius for denying permits for stores they don't like for whatever reason...Walmart, home depot, chik fil a is just another on the list. Most just move to the community next door and build because they are more than willing to take there money

It's funny (sad) how hate spead by one side just creates more hate on the other side and who wins in the end? No one.

I haven't seen the statement that the CEO made, but was it hateful? I was under the impression that it was regarding a traditional family unit. There is much difference between being hateful and expressing your views regarding someones decisions that don't align with yours. Now I'm going to have to go try to find the statement he made...

wonder what would happen if all the people who believed the same thing as Chic-Fil-a moved out of the city/county... and refused to buy anything there out of principal that their beliefs don't match with the cities...
Pretty much my feeling on the matter.

It's popular for politicians to pick a flavor of the week and be outraged about it.

It's popular for politicians to pick a flavor of the week and be outraged about it.
That's pretty much my feeling on lots of matters...this, religion, whatever to each his own...just don't get all up in my face about yours.

People would probably think my parents are whack jobs...catholic family with a huge painting of budha hanging in the front hallway. It is a great piece of art my grandma brought back with her from one of her trips to asia.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

"We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.
It's the "implied superiority" that Benbo mentioned in another thread. If you aren't in a family and married to your first wife then you are obviously not worthy of them. Not only is this offensive to gays but I'd think it might be to anyone who has been divorced, never married, or, for that matter, female, since he is implying they will only franchise to men (married to their first WIVES).

But that second sentence negates that when he says the restaurants are typically led by families. I'm pretty sure our local Chick-Fil-A is owned by a single guy.

That's pretty much my feeling on lots of matters...this, religion, whatever to each his own...just don't get all up in my face about yours.

People would probably think my parents are whack jobs...catholic family with a huge painting of budha hanging in the front hallway. It is a great piece of art my grandma brought back with her from one of her trips to asia.
I'm divorced and from a mixed marriage, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have me there. Remind me to lose some sleep about it tonight. :jerkit:

Sounds like discrimination to me... you shouldn't deny someone public benefits just because of they way they think legal thoughts.

Back