Converting a Pump from gpm to MPH

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakebitx1

Reaction score
I'm looking at a few pumps, but some have an output of MPH and some gpm. I know that gpm is a volume flow and MPH is a speed, but I need to compare several pumps with each other. For example, I'm looking at a pump that says "Max water flow (1150 gpm) @ 3,000 PSI." I was hoping somebody could help me figure out how to compare that with a pump that is given in MPH.

Jase has nailed it. If you have mathcad, it'll take care of the other conversions for you, but divide the gpm by the outlet area and you'll get the speed.

IE: 2" outlet (Sch40), area is 3.356in2, 1gpm on the pump is equal to 0.065mph.

MPH = Megagallons per Hour?

1150 gpm = 0.069 MPH

That's where I was going. Pumps move fluid. You're typically concerned with volume/flow rate not outlet speed. Outlet/nozzle pressure maybe.

Do manufacturer's actually spec pumps by velocity?

It also sounds strange to have the units in MPH. From what I've seen it is usually expressed in FPS.

ok, i've got another idea and question. I was thinking that instead of using a pump to just use a motor connected to a prop. Although, say that instead of using one prop with one motor I decided to use two props being run off the one motor.

How would the flow of water be effected? Would it double?

Would I need twice the HP in order to keep the props turning at the same speed as the individual prop was spinning?

Could I use the same HP and cut the RPMs in half?

the prop blades would cut the treadmill runner and then the boat wouldn't fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the MPH isn't cubic meters per hour (m3 /hr)? I have never heard of a pump being specified or described by discharge speed (specific spped yes, but that is a different thing).

Back