From your older brother

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdd18vm

Reaction score
Hello all,

Intern?well that?s ironic?

I?ve been in the A/E field for well in excess of 20 yrs. Started out drafting (yeah lead/mylar) then design and now project management. For most of those years it was a reoccurring mantra during my annual review that I REALLY should consider getting my PE. Sure, sure, I?ve looked at the application was intimidated by that alone! :blink: No WAY I could actually pass the test.

So?Fast forward?. here I am, old enough to be most of your?.well older brother? with plans on sitting in April, Power Depth. I?ve laid out and designed all sorts of electrical and distribution systems but I cant seem to get out of Chapter 29 of the EERM :angry: !

Anyway, I?m looking forward to the advice and help (already read some great posts). Maybe I should be studying instead of posting...hmm

I Gotta go?

John

John --

:wel

Completely awesome that you would want to put yourself through this punishment !! :D

Best of luck in your preparation. Also check out the EE section - there are some active members that can probably help direct and guide some of your study efforts.

JR

:wel

I am a little older than the most of the rest here as well (not as old as you are, probably...and I got carded the other night :true: made my night!)

Hopefully you will find some good stuff here.

Hey its never too late fellow ironic intern. I've been out of school 17 yrs (geology degree), been doing environmental, engineering & surveying work all that time. Now i wanna get licensed, need the ABET degree, gotta go back to school!? :blink:

Sucks, ruff on the family :( but hopefully short term pain for long term gain - i'm looking forward to just having the stinkin tests to worry about :???:

Welcome John.

I need a big brother. I have been in the electric utility business for 15 years now.

I passed the Power-Depth April of 06. I am glad we are getting more electrical people on the board so I can ask questions.

I may be a PE but I feel like I have just started learning.

I started in our distribution planning department last year and I am having to do stuff that is way out of my comfort zone.

:wel jdd18vm

Welcome to the board. We take 'em young or old around here.

I think I'm one of the younger licensees around here (26). Can you beat up the school buly for me?

Good luck on electrical. It looks real cool, but I took a basic e-systems class in college and it was brutal.

Welcome to the board guys, The intern thing is automatically generated as you get more posts, it goes up in ranks,

Intern 10

Field Tech 20

Junior Engineer 30

Project Engineer 50

Project Manager 100

Principal in Charge 200

Vice President 500

Chief Engineer 1000

Veteran 2500

Alot of members on here may wonder what those mean, so there they are. They mean nothing really, just for fun. After a few more posts, 10 I think, you can change it to say whatever you want. You don't have to stay in the ranks. So don't take the intern personal (I know you were kidding, but found it a good place to explain the ranks)

Welcome John, it is exciting to have more electricals around. I work in the A/E field as well, I am planning on taking Architectural PE exam this April (I am just the exception to everthing I guess... one of the very few taking it). I mainly work on building power/lighting/etc and figure I have a better chance at that exam than the EE-power, we will see how it works out. Did you take the FE exam John or do you get to skip it? :wel

Hey its never too late fellow ironic intern. I've been out of school 17 yrs (geology degree), been doing environmental, engineering & surveying work all that time. Now i wanna get licensed, need the ABET degree, gotta go back to school!? :blink:
Sucks, ruff on the family :( but hopefully short term pain for long term gain - i'm looking forward to just having the stinkin tests to worry about :???:
I work at a state agency and had a colleague who was 50ish that was a professional geologist for 20 yrs. From the sounds of it - he did the same sort of field work you did, but wanted something bigger and better. He went back to school and got his CE degree and passed the PE exam last October the first time (Civil with Geotech Depth).

He went on to a much bigger and better job and is more than happy to tell me so each time I see him. :true:

It's work, but worth it in the end. Best of luck in your preparation.

JR

jregieng:

Thanx for the encouragement. Sounds real similar to me although your colleague is slightly my senior (older brotherish :rolleyes: ). glad to hear he successfully passed first time out! Was he able to count any experience pre-CE degree, or did he need the full 4 yrs, post-degree?

NCEES has changed their requirements for EITs where they will need 30 additional credits post BS degree in addition to 4 yrs exp prior to sitting for PE. This won't take effect till 2015. . . but still cuts it close - i get BS 2008, 4 more years and its 2012! They've been striving for PEs to be required to hold masters now for some time, trying to keep up (?) w/ the fields of medicine and law i guess.

Course, holding more than 1 degree oughtta count fer something too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for all the welcomes, kind words and encouragement.

I'm not quite 50 Jregieng but closing in. Error Matrix I feel for you GL with School and the PE.

Kipper for years colleagues and clients thought I WAS a PE, until I alway had to correct them. If I can help let me know. One thing I am encouraged is I can GET the NEC questions.

Ritchie thats what I have been doing for over 20 yrs. I initially thought about the AE PE but didnt think to pursue it. I'd like to talk to you about it.

Heres the kick, I am actaully STILL waiting to hear from the NCBELS for approval to sit for the April Exam and requested a waiver of the FE. I've been given every indication neither should be a problem. I've already got a lot of time and money invested, it better work out or else :suicide:

Oh now if one of you electrical buds can wander over and answer my post on complex numbers.... :wtf:

Thanks again everyone, and thanks DVinny for the explanation.

J

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes, kind words and encouragement. 
I'm not quite 50 Jregieng but closing in.  Error Matrix I feel for you GL with School and the PE.

Kipper for years colleagues and clients thought I WAS a PE, until I alway had to correct them.  If I can help let me know.  One thing I am encouraged is I can GET the NEC questions.

Ritchie thats what I have been doing for over 20 yrs.  I initially thought about the AE PE but didnt think to pursue it.  I'd like to talk to you about it.

Heres the kick, I am actaully STILL waiting to hear from the NCBELS for approval to sit for the April Exam and requested a waiver of the FE.  I've been given every indication neither should be a problem.  I've already got a lot of time and  money invested, it better work out or else  :suicide:

Oh now if one of you electrical buds can wander over and answer my post on complex numbers.... :wtf:

Thanks again everyone, and thanks DVinny for the explanation.

J
I'm thinking you should've used the :dddd: instead of :suicide: .

Just my '.02'

I just did it, you can too...

out of school >20 years

FE 1st attempt in April

passed the PE in Oct...

just be consistent, it will happen...

BSEE I took the controls system test...

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Art, that rocks! :claps: :woot: :beerchug :congrats: :bow:

I hope mi familia can weather this 'Earnest goes back to school' sh!t

First off, congratulations Art on the accomplishment of passing both in less than a year! :thumbsup:

I am still waiting for a response on my application as well, should have it in the next two weeks. As far as why I am taking the Architectural Engineering (AE) PE, I would love to talk about it.

Well my BS degree is AE (electrical emphasis), so I had all the subjects on it in school anyway. General knowledge/Construction Management makes up 27% and Electrical (Basic theory & NEC) makes up 23%.. both of which I feel pretty confident about. Mechanical is 23%, which is interesting to me but I will need to relearn/refresh myself on. Structural is 27% which I have learned but will be the most difficult part for me. This versus the EE-Power, I feel I have a better chance at this. Also I do know someone who took the AE PE last April and passed who has convinced me that I can do it.

(Maybe under the ?PE Exam Prep Forum? section could we get a general section for other PE exams not specifically listed? Thanks!)

Art, Thanks for the encouragemnt and Congratulations!

Thats interesting Ritchie, I suppose I could have gone a very similar route. I have a BS Architectural Technology. But I fear thats of little value to me now (22 yrs later) sheeesh "oldtimer"

Anyway application is in, I am knee deep into the power, so I'll keep plugging away with everyones help here.

GL to you too.

J

EE-power was my second choice, just stick with it and best of luck to you! (Too late for me as my app is in too.. ) If it doesn't work out for me this year maybe I would switch to EE as there is so much more available to help with studying for that exam. I am sure we will keep in contact as the big day approaches.

if you can skip the FE, that's great, I found it tougher (although not really all that bad) in PA you must take it...

honestly, it's not as bad as it may seem...as you study your confidence builds...you already have the knowledge you need to pass, you just need to organize it so you can access it as required under time constraints...

do a review course, I did a CD based one, and do multiple problems...organize your materials as you draw upon them to solve the problems, don't just throw it all in a box the day before the test...

good luck, but imho you won't need it :)

Back