The Lawnmower Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Looking at one of these: http://www.amazon.co...35897863&sr=8-7

Never used an electric before. I would think it'd be a better choice now that gas is crap (thank you ethanol) and expensive.

Do you get used to having a cord?

Advice/thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hated having a cord. If they can build an electric car w/o the cord, I'm sure there are cordless mowers options that are reasonably acceptable.

Depends on the size/shape of the yard as well as the proximity to an outlet. I would think for a 10x20 patch in front of the house it wouldn't be a big deal, but if you had to dodge several trees, bushes, landscaping to get around a larger irregular shaped yard I think would suck.

I use an electric edge trimmer with a 75' extension cord and isn't a big deal, but if my lot was much bigger I would probably convert to gas.

I had a friend that had a small yard (probably less than 0.1 acre) that bought an electric mower and ended up selling it. He said it was like vacuuming and hated the cord.

way back in the 80's my parents had an electric mower. PITA but doable. The handle flipped back and forth so you could keep the cord on the same side while you go back and forth cutting the grass.

It's my understanding that the newest electric mowers have sufficient battery capacity to cut a smaller lawn on a single charge. This would be the same as a gas mower without the gas. I have no direct experience with the battery powered electric mowers

I have a rechargeable mower by Worx. Got it from A-zon. Costs about as much as gas mower & is as heavy too. But it works great. My lot is roughly 100 x 100, and it takes me maybe 45 min to cut the grass, of which I can usually get two cuttings from a single charge - depending on how thick / tall the grass is. Anyways, I've had it a couple years w/ no probs & practically zero maintenance other than charging & blade sharpening.

I dont know but i have a 4 year old torro mower that was around $250, left it outside all the last two winters, each spring it fires up on the second crank......

I just couldnt mess with an electric mower unless I had real small yard..

and as always, buying through amazon (links on this website) help support the forum! :D

I used a corded electric when I was a kid, to mow my grandma's lawn, at it was a PITA. Similar to mentioned above, the handle flipped so you didn't have to try to turn it around without mowing over the cord. Definitely not worth it.

However, a rechargeable mower sounds pretty cool. . . my lot is about the size of EM's and it sounds like it would work well.

But I also have a toro, going on 6 years old, and I'm not sure it will ever die.

Thanks, everyone. Decided to use the old gas mower, which has been really reliable, and I'll probably pick up a new gas one since our yard has spots that would be a huge PITA with a cord (since we don't have outside outlets).

Thought about a cordless, but heard bad tales of expensive proprietary batteries that needed replacing after a few years.

In that case, how about a reel mower? I know a couple people that use them, and you don't have to worry about putting gas in them. Plus they're pretty simple with fewer parts to break.

I'm not a big fan of self propelled. Just something more to break, IMO.
I agree. I am a fan of craftsman though. I watch for the sales at the beginning of the year. I got a 5.0HP craftsman basic 21 in. cut mower for ~$180 10 years ago and it stills works great. The only thing wrong with it is that the front wheels aren't aligned straight so it's "ding-toed". I think it's because there is a crack devloping in the main body near the wheel connection allowing some flex. I wish I had a welder.

The only suggestion I would make is to get a high wheel mower. They seem to roll a lot better and are easier to push around.

I have a rear wheel drive self-propelled "personal pace" mower, and love it. You push on a spring-loaded bar, the faster you walk, the harder you push on the bar and the faster it goes. It's really intuitive, plus being rear-wheel drive makes it a lot easier to turn. Was a bit pricey at $350 in 2005, but well worth it in my opinion.

The Craftsman is a FWD self-propelled, but how hard you push basically dictates how quickly it moves. I haven't had any issues with it.

I have a rear wheel drive self-propelled "personal pace" mower, and love it. You push on a spring-loaded bar, the faster you walk, the harder you push on the bar and the faster it goes. It's really intuitive, plus being rear-wheel drive makes it a lot easier to turn. Was a bit pricey at $350 in 2005, but well worth it in my opinion.
This is what I have and I've been very pleased with it.

In that case, how about a reel mower? I know a couple people that use them, and you don't have to worry about putting gas in them. Plus they're pretty simple with fewer parts to break.
I had one of these for a while and they work fine if you have a beautifully manicured lawn that you get to mow ever 3-4 days. If you have weeds or tall grass they can be a pain in the ass.

Back