Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ptatohed

April 2012 CA-Survey Exam cancelled statewide?

151 posts in this topic

My friend who was supposed to take the exam at the Pomona site said they cancelled the exam! What a nightmare. They told him it was statewide. Is this true? Did other test locations cancel as well? Rumor has it that the exam booklets had a Survey cover but a Seismic exam inside. That's terrible.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is very sad frustrating and very true. Everybody was sited when they called proctors to bring the booklets, and then they called to return booklets…and the game was over

I couldn't believe when they said its canceled!!!!! I hope it's not rescheduled for oct. It better be within next month otherwise you will have to re-study everything!!!! How frustrating. I hope the person who screwed up gets punished somehow.

I was at the San mateo site and ours was cancelled as well. Same explaination that the survey exam actually had seismic questions. My copy looked OK (at least the first question)

Pomona is cancelled! they told me it is statewide. does anybody know why??

If they are not going to reschedule again very very quick, I mean within few weeks or a month is exactly like if you would fail...need to study again and go through the whole hassle

The State Board website said cancellation due to security reason

http://www.pels.ca.gov/

• ANNOUNCED APRIL 12, 2012 - The April 12, 2012 State Civil Engineering Surveying examination has been canceled due to security issues. All candidates will be contacted by the Board as soon as possible to reschedule. We apologize for any inconvenience.

All the examinees in my hall had seismic exam inside the exam book instead of surveying

Saying that it's a security issue makes it sound like there was an attempt to leak the exam. But from what I understood it was a printing issue.

Someone messed up.

They're calling it a security issue?? That notice they gave on their website is the exact type of notice I would expect from the board. Very little detail with no acknowledgment of fault.

Someone didn't verify the distribution of the correct books!

It was cancelled thirty minutes into the exam in Visalia. If it is a printing error they should be honest and not lie about it. The truth will come out.

How loud was the uproar at the various exam sites?

Please send message or letter to Board to reschedule it ASAP...hopefully sometime next week. So that whoever prepared well for the exam will be less effected.

At the Bay Area site it was cancelled less than a minute into the exam when a large number of candidates opened their books and found seismic problems inside. It took them about 20 minutes to tell us that they were cancelling the exam and that they'd tell us what was going to happen next at some other time. I felt bad for the guy sitting next to me who flew in from OK.

Would be GREAT and amazing to be next week but just think about that they need to reprint again let everybody know about the changes, so I really doubt is gonna happen. I am still gonna be happy if it will be reschedule within a month or so. Good luck and please CAPELS hurry up!!!

Looks like their going to play it as a "security" issue.

Did you read post #1 and #4 above yours?

All the examinees in my hall had seismic exam inside the exam book instead of surveying

Care to share where your exam site was?

Saying that it's a security issue makes it sound like there was an attempt to leak the exam. But from what I understood it was a printing issue.

Someone messed up.

I guess one could argue that if an examinee saw the material of a test he/she wasn't taking, there was a "breach". I'm just joking. You're right. This mistake is inexcusable.

It was cancelled thirty minutes into the exam in Visalia. If it is a printing error they should be honest and not lie about it. The truth will come out.

30 minutes in? That's rough! I assume everyone at your site had Survey exams if you were 30 minutes in? Now they have to throw out all of those questions and come up with 50 more for the reschedule. Ouch.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/

The board website mentions that we will be contacted for a reschedule.

Echo echo echo............ ;)

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=18906&st=0&p=6948020entry6948020

Did you read post #1 and #4 above yours?

i just wanted to know why~ honestly didn't pay attention to your post~ no offense~

Thanks for posting the Pels website info. I didnt even check there first and checked here instead. Actually wasnt even expecting them to put up anything for at least a day. Not that this was terribly informative.

I'm also doubting that they will reschedule within a week. Test of this scale can't be planned and executed in that short term. More like 3-4 months would be my guess.

wow. this really sucks.. the time i am finally ready for this beast, it get's cancelled..

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs. Mistakes of this scale shouldn't be happening. They affect 1000s of people. I really do feel bad for people who book hotels and come from far away and their employers only reimburse if they pass...

I really don't think they will be able to reschedule and I am betting that we are going to be taking it in October. If the exam has to be adminstered at the same time at all locations; it means that the state has to arrange locations again. From what I understand, most of the locations are non-state owned, and there are probably agreements in place that allow only usage certain times, etc etc, Then they need to prepare, print, notify,arrange proctors, and then be sure they are graded in time for people who don't pass to register for the following test.. Even now, they barely make it to the registration deadline...

Big mess up.It would have been somewhat dismissable, had it been some time of a security breach, but negligence. unexcusable. .

Perhaps they'll convert to computer based testing (CBT) like the Land Surveyor test. There are dedicated CBT sites all over the state and you can schedule testing within weeks.

wow. this really sucks.. the time i am finally ready for this beast, it get's cancelled..

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs.

Big mess up.It would have been somewhat dismissable, had it been some time of a security breach, but negligence. unexcusable. .

It won't cost anyone their job, aren't they state employees?

At any rate, it's inexcusable. It think I'm more PO'd at the way they are trying to cover it as a "security" problem.

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs. Mistakes of this scale shouldn't be happening. They affect 1000s of people. I really do feel bad for people who book hotels and come from far away and their employers only reimburse if they pass...

I really don't think they will be able to reschedule and I am betting that we are going to be taking it in October. If the exam has to be adminstered at the same time at all locations; it means that the state has to arrange locations again. .

They could make special arrangements in any number of locations and/or rent out an empty business suites on short notice. But my hunch is they will not go out of their way to right this wrong.