photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cabby

Complex Imaginary volume 4, prob 14

12 posts in this topic

Has anyone worked this problem yet? 34.5kv, 3phase, 4 wire, Y-connected, distrobution panel is experiencing unbalanced load conditions. Phase A load=(120+65j)kva @ (19.9 angle 0) kv. Phase C load=(65+20j)kva @ (19.9 angle 0)kv. Calculate the neutral current.

for the life of me, I do not understand the solution nor do I think the problem is set up correctly. I thought the voltage for phase C would be 19.9 at angle 240 or something to that affect. If anyone has some examples of unbalanced load problems it would be great.

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

Since it doesn't specify where the load is connected and it is asking for In you would assume the loads are connected between each leg and the neutral and therefore In=load A/(V/root3)angel 0 + load B/(V/root3)angel 120+ load B/(V/root3)angel 240

I was just looking at this one! I'm taking the week off as final prep. The Phase C voltage should be <240. However, I don't think their answer is right. I get that IA = 6.86<-28.44 and IC = 3.42<137.1 (I think they got confused with conjugates). IN = -(IA+IC) gives me IN = 3.65<165 for an answer of 3.65A.

Since it doesn't specify where the load is connected and it is asking for In you would assume the loads are connected between each leg and the neutral and therefore In=load A/(V/root3)angel 0 + load B/(V/root3)angel 120+ load C/(V/root3)angel 240

Note the correction.

I was just looking at this one! I'm taking the week off as final prep. The Phase C voltage should be <240. However, I don't think their answer is right. I get that IA = 6.86<-28.44 and IC = 3.42<137.1 (I think they got confused with conjugates). IN = -(IA+IC) gives me IN = 3.65<165 for an answer of 3.65A.

If you have three unbalanced loads, why you are not adding up Ib to the neutral current?

If you have three unbalanced loads, why you are not adding up Ib to the neutral current?

There is no load on phase B.

Since I do t have there book, what was the answer?

Hence, the question is giving you C@0 degrees, therefore you start your sequence with C, I solved it based on CBA sequence and I got 5.23angel 119?

There is no load on phase B.

Since I do t have there book, what was the answer?

Hence, the question is giving you C@0 degrees, therefore you start your sequence with C, I solved it based on CBA sequence and I got 5.23angel 119?

The CI answer is 6.6. As I wrote above, I got 3.65A.

What is their math? I don't have that volume.

This is what I did using 240 for the Phase C voltage:

Ia=(120+65i)/(19.9 @ 0) = 6.86@28 => 6.86@-28

Ic=(65+20i)/(19.9@240) = 3.42@137 => 3.42@-137

In= 3.42@-137 + 6.86@-28 = 6.59@-57A

It looks like I was the one confused about conjugates. Argh. Thanks!

Thank you everyone. The answer to the problem was 6.6 @ -58 degrees. The magnitude therefore is 6.6A for the neutral current.