What was the best PI show of all time?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I'm going to have to say The Rockford Files. Cool car, trashy trailer on a tony peice of real estate, and a hero who was cool even though he got beat up a lot. Plus, the ensemble cast was awesome, and the guest stars were pretty good, too.

First runner up would be Magnum PI. Although I wondered a lot why Magnum's buddies put up with him.

Magnum PI was great. I watched a little bit of Columbo back in the day too. Lately I've been watching previous seasons of Monk, I really enjoy that show.

My vote is The Rockford Files for pretty much the same reasons CW mentioned.

I also liked Simon&Simon. I'm not a Dodge guy but I that truck on that show was cool.

its more cop detectives, but dragnet was a frequently watched show in our house.

Also, Murder she wrote

I don't know about Monk, that lady on there will always be a nun in my opinion... what was the name of that show she was originally in? THAT was a decent show...

or maybe that was another lady... you remember the priest and the nun that solved crimes?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Mannix? Joe Mannix always drove a cool mopar.

Another of my favorites was George Peppard as Banacek.

We can't forget William Conrad as Frank Canon. He needed that big Lincoln to haul his a$$ around.

I think Canon was the first person on TV with a car phone. I always thought that was the coolest thing.

^I forgot about Riptide. How can you go wrong with a helicopter, 1960 (maybe 1962) Corvette, and a speed boat.

And here I was trying to think of a show that revolved around 3.14159 (no pun intended)......

I don't think they qualify as PI shows but three more come to mind:

Stingray (1965 Corvette Coupe), The Equalizer (Jaguar XJ6) & Harcastle and McCormick.

I still want one of these:

coyote-vw-kit-car.jpg

Many years ago we toured the back lot at Universal Studios in FLA. The coyote was sitting out in the sun looking pretty beat up. In actuality it was a POS fiberglass body over something like a VW chassis that was all shiny for the show.

http://en.wikipedia....e_and_McCormick

Coyote X

The car that McCormick drove, the Coyote X, was not built from a Manta Montage kit car, itself a replica based on the McLaren M6GT.[1] The original Coyote X was molded, modified and assembled by Mike Fennel. The nose, windshield doors and lower body are faithful representations of the McLaren;[2] the cut down rear deck, however, was a custom component that became a feature on many Montages with damaged or removed rear windows. The most noticeable differences between the Coyotes and Mantas are the wheel wells, roll pan height and shape, and the fact that the Coyote has a one piece front clip that terminates about an inch before and surrounding the windshield.

Most of the cars made for the show were molded and assembled by either Mike Fennel or Unique Movie Cars. Like many kit cars of the time, the car uses a chassis from a Volkswagen Beetle and its engine from a Porsche 914.[3] For the second and third seasons, producers used a different Coyote which was based on a De Lorean DMC-12, as Brian Keith had difficulty getting in and out of the original Coyote.[4]

The Season 2 and Season 3 Coyote does not resemble the Manta, as the front is larger than the original, making the car resemble a front-engined car. A Season 1 car that was used in the production of Hardcastle and McCormick is owned by a private owner in southern New Jersey.[citation needed] The stunt car was reconfigured for the Knight Rider 2000 television pilot, then consequently turned into Jay Ohrberg's show car "Taz-Mobile".[citation needed] In April 2011, the car was sold and shipped to Texas where it will be re-bodied back to its Coyote configuration, retaining as many of the original Coyote pieces as possible.[citation needed] A Season 2 car appeared briefly on the sixth episode of Season 5 of the sitcom Married... with Children.

^I refuse to let your reality wreck my idealized fantasy where that car sports at least 300hp and does NOT sound like a pissed off bumble bee.

^I refuse to let your reality wreck my idealized fantasy where that car sports at least 300hp and does NOT sound like a pissed off bumble bee.
oh and by the way...the easter bunny is dead.

My mom used to watch Murder She Wrote...whenever Jessica Fletcher came around, you knew someone was about to die. Not good.

Back