Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Road Guy

How long have you gone without a raise?

50 posts in this topic

Thought you'd get a kick out of that!

I was at four years until december when they gave me a 5% for passing in april.

If i didn't get a raise for two straight years, my resume would be getting some mileage.

1 person likes this

After not getting a raise in '09 & '10, I've now received a raise in each of the past 2 years. Last year I also was "promoted" so my raise was higher than the standard merit raise. I was surprised to find out today that I was receiving a 4.5% raise this year. I was expecting no more than 3%.

If i didn't get a raise for two straight years, my resume would be getting some mileage.

The thing is, i want to stay in the area and it isn't exactly a hotbed for mechies.

^^^Yep. I have to take a pay cut to live in my town.

My commute went from ~30 minutes each way to 1hr each way to get the job I have now (and subsequent pay bump).

Seriously though, it's been 2 years since getting a raise, but my company gives us bonuses and gives us a great retirement contribution every year for all staff. I think i'll probably get a 2-3% increase this year, but the total package is way more than what my engineer friends get unless they're in middle/upper management.

Edited by sac_engineer

well I am now more depressed than when I started this thread...

This is everyone where I work not just me, but its time to start looking... the 6 mile commute has been one thing that kept me from looking.........

^^^ If you're looking to relocate to Denver, I know there are a couple positions open with the group I work for...

Got about what I was expecting for a raise (pessimistic) - 2.8%. <grumble grumble>

Is that negative 2.8%?

I would love Colorado, my wife can't take the 40 degree winters here in Georgia though...

There seem to be lots more civil related openings in Texas, San fransisco, and north east, or at least that's what it's showing on the typical sites...

I would love Colorado, my wife can't take the 40 degree winters here in Georgia though...

I can understand, I love snow, but am scared of Virginia after living in the AL/GA area.... switched the heat pump to cool today!!!

^I've had the AC on for a few days now...

If you don't mind very warm summer temps and drought...the weather in Texas is lovely. It'll be about 80 degrees here today. I think I'm going to start my garden this weekend.

Oh and we don't have an income tax...

I went 3.5 years with only a $1/hour raise for passing the PE. I left and got a 20% raise at a new company. Woot!

Edited by Glen_PE

I got 2% after 3 years, last year we had a 5% cut which lasted about 9 months. My group posted more revenue (most in history of the firm, not just a fluke year) with fewer people and they still want to put off salery increase discussion until next year. They said there will be bonus but still not a word on how much. I think this is not going to be pleasant.

This is everyone where I work not just me, but its time to start looking... the 6 mile commute has been one thing that kept me from looking.....

I had a job offer but asked for them to cover my commute expence, that ended that discussion, My current commute is 10 m door to door. I need alot more money if I am going to spend 2hr+ in the car for another job.

Starting to wonder if this thread is an indication of how many resumes are floating around out there right now...

^^No kidding, just read and this is a bit depressing. Sorry to hear about all of your woes guys.

Longest I went was 1.5yrs. but compensation was just above the national avg. so didn't mind much. Soon after, was laid off and found a new company that wanted to pay a new PE fatty stacks so I accepted (PE probably helped that) which was a nice "raise". Our reviews are in summer, update to come. I concur w/ previous recommendations about looking elsewhere, there's always a greener pasture. I my case I needed to get laid off to know it's true.

Which reminds me: "No matter how hot she is, some guy out there is sick and tired of putting up with her $h!t"

... I've gotten at least two raises a year for the past six years, not including my two promotions.

:ban:

Don't hate the player, hate The Game (which you just lost).

I went two years without a raise before moving on to bigger and better things. This year, my department received a small COLA.