Online Courses Worth It for Civil PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliemay56

Reaction score
I took the Civil PE this past fall and did not pass. I am going to take it again in April but am trying to decide if taking an online course is worth it. The cost is hefty and having not passed, I am debating it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In my opinion, taking an online review course depends on couple of factors like what was ur diagnostic score, do you need more practise for morning or afternoon etc...

I passed on my 2nd try, I failed in my 1st attempt by 2 points and was in the same thought process as you are. But for me it was clear that I need more practise and I knew if I would do it, I dont need any review course. If you can self study religiously, PE Civil is not that hard but if you need someone to keep you motivated and you can afford it, review course is definitely helpful... good luck!

I agree if you can convince yourself to study strictly on your own then do that and save the money.

However, I have a coworker who took a review course and really liked it because they were being TOLD to study and somewhat forced to adhere to a schedule. Kind of like being pushed to work out in a fitness program by a coach vs. just freewheeling it at a gym on your own.

School of PE was worth the money. They trim the fat from all the useless information contained in the CERM. I passed because I had school of PE materials supplementing the CERM at the test

I very much agree w/the previous response -a review course was definitely worth the $ to me (I also happened to take the School of PE course). It was helpful for a few reasons:

1) It "forced" me to study and kept me focused and on track

2) The review material is condensed and was extremely helpful on the exam

3) They provided good self-study and test taking strategies

Sure, its expensive (I think I paid just over a grand)....but failing is also expensive, especially when you consider what your time is worth when you've put in all that studying.

For those of you who took school of PE review course, did you do the online webinar or in-person session?

I did online for the EIT .. I have no complaints.

School of PE is really only focused on the AM though, I am looking into passpe.com for AM/PM Transpo

I took School of PE and passed the 8-hr on my first try. The course is designed to give you the tools to answer 35+ in the AM and about 22-25 in the PM. That was enough for me. My friend also took School of PE at the same time and passed as well.

Also, training for a marathon takes marathon levels of study. I started studying for the 8-hr in May and literally went through over 500 problems. If you want to pass you need to make it a priority and start studying for it now.

I did online:

1. EIT w/EIT Experts

2. 8hr w/School of PE. They provide enough PM material to pass the test. I took the Transpo depth.

3. Seismic w/EET Ahmed Ibrahim (an excellent instructor)

Back