thoughts on using older edition books for PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT-Matt

Reaction score
So I have assembled the following to help w/ my prep for the April 2012 Environmental PE:

- University of Delaware PE review course (comes w/ DVD's and 3" course notes binder)

- ENVRM Lindeburg Second Edition w/ accompanying practice problems and solved problems books

- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards (free through CDC)

- 2008 Emergency Response Guidebook

- Wastewater Engineering Treatment Disposal Reuse - Metcalf and Eddy 3rd edition copyright 1991

- Hazardous Waste Management LaGrega 1994 edition

- McCoy's RCRA Reference's 2008 edition

- Standard Handbook Environmental Engineering- Corbitt 1990 edition

I was curious what others thought about using the older editions for some of the above titles? I have assembled the following above list from advice previously read on this forum. Have the fundamentals of these subjects really changed that much in the last 20 years? Just trying to save a few bucks if I can. The only references i feel i need to spend money on is the Copper and Alley Air Pollution book and NCEES Environmental questions book. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated? thanks

Matt

While I used the new ENVRM edition, I know three people that passed with older editions so you should be fine. Make sure you visit the PPI website and get the erratta for any changes/corrections.

You have an excellent collection of references and almost identical to what I used. The only thing I would suggest is "Environmental Engineering" by Salvato and "Environmental Engineering Dictionary" by Lee. I didn't think I would use the dictionary during the exam but sure enough It saved by bacon and may have been the question that pushed me over the top. Salvato is an excellent reference that I used several times during the exam. Strangely, even more than the ENVRM! I think because I studied the ENVRM so much I knew the material very well and didnt need it so much. Cooper and Alley was a good reference for me while studying but the FE supplied reference with my supplemental notes in the margins was my go-to reference. As you study it is good to consolidate key equations and terms and the FE supplied reference is a great place to do that.

Best of luck!

^ only if your state allows the FE reference book into the PE exam. IL does not allow that book for the PE exam.

I second the suggestion for Salvato. It is an expensive book, but it is well worth the investment not only for the exam, but for professional practice (IF you even plan to consult or do more than you are doing right now).

I did not have the environmental dictionary, but I imagine it could be useful. Otherwise, seems like you have a pretty good set of references. Not sure Cooper & Alley really helped me any, above the ENVRM (I used second edition too). Salvato has some air stuff, too (especially sampling methods).

Thanks for the advice. I see that amazon sells two Salvato books one is $96:

http://www.amazon.com/Environmental-Engineering-Prevention-Response-Air-borne/dp/0470083042/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326847926&sr=8-1

and the other is $310:

http://www.amazon.com/Environmental-Engineering-Set-Nelson-Nemerow/dp/0470083026/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326847926&sr=8-2

Is the $310 three volume set the text you guys are referring to? I'm hoping the cheaper one but i think i know the answer:) thanks

^The $96 version only includes the 3 chapters on drinking water & wastewater utilities. You need to get either the full 3-volume set (the $310 set), or find the previous edition, which covered everything in one 12-chapter volume. The new edition looks very nice, though, and would be a great reference to have if you intend to practice environmental engineering in more than just a narrow specialty. A used fifth edition would probably be adequate for an exam reference, and pretty good for a job reference, too (I'm not planning on shelling out $310 to replace mine...)

Well you guys have convinced me, I bit the bullet today and purchased the $310 three volume set 6th edition. I was lucky enough to get a couple other more recent editions of the Metcalf and Eddy and Copper and Alley book from the local university library. Now it's time to study! thanks

Back