PE status rewards

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADB

Reaction score
I get a $1.50/hr raise for getting my license. A buddy of mine got a handshake and was told it was a benefit for his career (by his boss). At my company, they are able to increase their allowable work load based on the number of licensed professionals employed. So there is an obvious benefit to my company as well. I have heard of others who get a 1-time bonus. Just wanted to see what the overall financial benefits are for getting licensed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a one time bonus of $2500 at the time but that was 4 or 5 years ago. It was right as the housing bubble burst and I was working for an engineering company that did primarily land development work at the time so I wasn't complaining. Now I am with the US Army Corps of Engineers and I don't think you get anything here.

I was told not to expect anything. Other companies where I have worked had a one-time pre-tax bonus of about $3000.

Depends on the company.

My office gives out a $1500 check as a congrats; then throw all successful individuals a lunch party for the entire company and typically the department will be allowed to take the successful individual and the rest of the department members out to lunch or dinner with everyone's significant other.

No real raise to speak of.

Here is another thread this was discussed in: http://engineerboard...showtopic=14835

I have yet to get a raise since I passed my PE in IL and my firm is in KY. They said we would talk when I got my KY license but also made mention that I got my license a year earlier then they expected.
What do you suppose they would do if you quit the company and got a better job earlier than they expected?

Here is another thread this was discussed in: http://engineerboard...showtopic=14835

I have yet to get a raise since I passed my PE in IL and my firm is in KY. They said we would talk when I got my KY license but also made mention that I got my license a year earlier then they expected.
What do you suppose they would do if you quit the company and got a better job earlier than they expected?
That would involve me moving and I work for a good company. One of the owners was just taken off guard when he found out I got my PE.

I got a $500 bonus. I had already received my raise for next year, which was quite substantial, and was told my PE wouldn't be taken into account for salary this year, though from talking with others around the office, it should merit a nice increase on my next salary adjustment.

I just got a "congratulation" email... but I consider it is for one's own benefit and career growth!

Wow! I have "pre-negotiated" a $5k bonus and a $10k raise, assuming MD ever gets off the results and I did pass. Got to say I feel well treated!

I feel bad for you folks in this economy, in 05 when I got my PE, I got a $5K bonus and a better than average raise. Times are so different now that I dont know if stuff like that happens anymore..

maybe in the future,,,,

Its definitely a different landscape in these times, but there is still extreme value in having your PE, value that may not initially be measured by monetary means, but by opportunity and experience that will eventually lead to those rewards we all desire. New opportunities arise when we are able to:

• Stamp and seal designs
  • Bid for government contracts
  • Perform consulting services
  • Offer services to the public
  • Be principal of a firm

In a down economy, its all about leveraging what we got. Becoming a PE, if nothing else, should (not saying that it will) give us a little bit more job security because we are theoretically more qualified for a larger bucket of tasks. I hope to see everyone here get what they desire in the near future, keep working hard. Have a good day everyone...

I get to suffix "PE" on my email signature.

And get back the money I spent on the reference materials and the exam fee.

Back