Rate increase - when did Redbox raise the rental?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
It hasn't been that long since we rented a movies from RedBox. Does anyone recall when the price jumped to $1.20 instead of $1. It just seems like a weird price to charge.

I remember seeing something about it on MSN.com not too long ago. I didn't read it as I don't use Redbox, so I don't know for sure.

Taking advantage of the Netflix DVD ship jumpers (us included). Haven't done RedBox in many months, but I can see it as a good business move.

about the same time I quit using it......

oh...and cancelled netflix

Last edited by a moderator:
This was pretty recently, a few weeks at most. I'm still focusing in on finishing off the appropriate TV series from Netflix so I can drop it. As long as Redbox charges under $2 for a Blu Ray disc, I'll continue to be a happy camper.

It's weird but in most of the "poor areas" around Atlanta they still have the old school video stores, you know the kind where you go inside and look around.... I am wondering if maybe the areas prone to trailer parks and apartments full of quasi non citizens are just short on credit cards???

Take a look next time you drive through your local hood.......

It's weird but in most of the "poor areas" around Atlanta they still have the old school video stores, you know the kind where you go inside and look around.... I am wondering if maybe the areas prone to trailer parks and apartments full of quasi non citizens are just short on credit cards???

Take a look next time you drive through your local hood.......
Family Video is a box video rental store that is growing like crazy through much of the USA . It is family owned with no or little debt. They have a major strategic advantage is that they are not publicly traded like Hollywood Video or Blockbuster, so they don't have stupid overhead due to overkill in accounting rules. They are mostly located in the nicer neighborhoods. My kids love the free kids rental section, and the video game rental section. Their prices are on par with Red Box except you keep the movie for 5 nights, and they get the movies sooner than Red Box.

^I think you're thinking of Netflix, Slugger. Red box is $1.20/day (used to be $1.00) and you get the movie dispensed immediately from the machine. It's the only way I bother renting movies any more (which isn't very often).

I noticed that Netflix was charging me 25 bucks a month for 3 movies plus streaming. Called them and told them I couldn't stream and just wanted the three movie package. Dropped it back to 16/month, about five bucks less than it was when I signed up in late 2004. plus they credited back the money they charged me for the streaming option.

^I think you're thinking of Netflix, Slugger. Red box is $1.20/day (used to be $1.00) and you get the movie dispensed immediately from the machine. It's the only way I bother renting movies any more (which isn't very often).
I am thinking of this place: http://www.familyvideo.com/

They have a store on the corner near my house, and they are awesome.

We rent from Family Video all the time over Redbox (never had Netflix) due to the selection and free older movies when you rent new ones. Most TV series are only a dollar to rent as well.

Back