For the people that didn't make it this time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

ramice

I'm pretty certain that I will be joining this category. Is there any way we can share the contents of the diagnostic report included with the results? Maybe there is something to learn for next time.

---------------

If you get the same letter I got last time with your diagnostic results, we should share as many as those as we can to help find the cut score, and how close you actually were.

"Road Guy"

Last edited:
I have been trying to find it, I think they were in the different exam depth forums (civil, mechanical, etc)

If everyone who fails post their diagnistic info then I think we could readily determine what the almighty cut score was, dont know how that will really help us, but dammit i would like to know...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the figuring out the cut score from the diagnistic would be helpful. Someone figured it out for the April 2006 test and I saw that I missed by only 3 questions. :brick:

Maybe it could be broken down by afternoon section too.

We still don't know if the cut scores are the same or different for the afternoon sections.

I say put the diagnostics in a thread as well. there is one in the Alabama thread right now.

"I think the figuring out the cut score from the diagnistic would be helpful. Someone figured it out for the April 2006 test and I saw that I missed by only 3 questions. "

Although these diagnostic will provide some information, unless this person passed and got a diagnostic, there is technically no way he could know the cut score. If you fail and get a diagnostic, you just get an idea what the failing scores are, but you cannot tell the number needed to pass. Just that it is somewhere above the failing score.

true, but if we had 50 people say from civil WR, and none of them got above a 51 and passed I think we could safely assume the cut score was 52. which of course means nothing but it would give us something to do during January :BK:

I don't know if it means nothing. If we dtermine the cut score to be close to 53 and you got a 51 you know that a few adjustments and you're there.

On the flip side if you get a 20, then classes and intense study are in order.

If you get a 5, maybe it's time to get out of engineering.

We still don't know if the cut scores are the same or different for the afternoon sections.
I say put the diagnostics in a thread as well. there is one in the Alabama thread right now.
I would think they have to be different passing scores. Eventhough everyone takes the same AM exam when you combine that with the 5 different PMs, that's bascially 5 different exams. Gotta be 5 different scores, right? :dunno:

true, but if we had 50 people say from civil WR, and none of them got above a 51 and passed I think we could safely assume the cut score was 52. which of course means nothing but it would give us something to do during January :BK:
That's true.

Is it me, or does those Burger King commercials :BK: really creep you guys out...The one where the family opens the window, and he's standing there like a Chicken hawk (Pedophile)....pretty wierd.

What else do we have to talk about to pass this stressful time? It's certainly not work right now :watch:

What else do we have to talk about to pass this stressful time? It's certainly not work right now :watch:
That is true - that is why I ended up staying home today. I knew I would be non-productive and there are things I can do from home (watch baby, laundry, get ready for guests, prepare appetizers, etc.) instead of wasting my time at work.

One more day of wait and hope ....

Regards,

JR

I say put the diagnostics in a thread as well.  there is one in the Alabama thread right now.
I would think they have to be different passing scores. Eventhough everyone takes the same AM exam when you combine that with the 5 different PMs, that's bascially 5 different exams. Gotta be 5 different scores, right? :dunno:
I hope your right MIG, and I think that probably and should be the case, but we've just never had that confirmation before.

If the cut score was the same, then really a person would be an idiot to take structural over Transpo or WR. JMO.

I hope your right MIG, and I think that probably and should be the case, but we've just never had that confirmation before.
Consider this as well --

Because of the "norming" or "equating" process, different depth subjects would almost have to have different scores.

Right?

JR

Yes each exam has a different cut score. The morning is the same for everyone but the the depth portion all have different scores based on how many questions are thrown out and how many questions the board figures a reasonable engineer should know.

my scores SUCKED this past time!!

17/40 in the PM

28/40 in the AM

45/80

56%!!

Last Fall :

26/40 AM

28/40 PM

54/80 ~ 68% (OK I ROUNDED!!)

HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THATS GOOD CAN YOU FAIL WITH A 68%??????

THERE MUST NOT HAVE BEEN ANY ADJUSTMENT AT ALL!!!!

btw - dont take the GEO PM section!! . . . it was RIDICULOUS this past time!

my scores SUCKED this past time!!
17/40 in the PM

28/40 in the AM

45/80

56%!!

Last Fall :

26/40 AM

28/40 PM

54/80 ~ 68% (OK I ROUNDED!!)

HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THATS GOOD CAN YOU FAIL WITH A 68%??????

THERE MUST NOT HAVE BEEN ANY ADJUSTMENT AT ALL!!!!

btw - dont take the GEO PM section!! . . . it was RIDICULOUS this past time!
AMEN to that! I took geo twice in the afternoon, and was all set to do it again this past April. Would you believe I switched on the afternoon of the exam to WR? I pulled a 47/80, which didn't get me through, but not bad for no studying!

I think I will stick with WR for next time, (with studying, of course)

Here's mine that I already posted in the Pennsylvania results thread. I think I figured out the score breakdown and I got a 52/80 and failed.

Civil breadth:

Construction - 75% 6/8

Geotech - 62% 5/8

Structural - 88% 7/8

Transportation - 75% 6/8

Water/Environ. - 100% 8/8

Approximate am score: 32?

Geotechnical Depth:

Subsurface Exploration & Sampling - 67% 2/3

Eng. Properties of Soils & Materials - 80% 4/5

Soil Mechanics Analysis - 40% 2/5

Earthquake Engineering - 50% 1/2