aren't "slide in" binder covers technically a violation?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2KBA

True Believer
Reaction score
Many of you might think this is a ridiculous thing to bring up. I have several binders with the transparent plastic sleeves where you can insert paper for the binder cover. Since it is not bound or glued, isn't this technically grounds for dismissal from the exam? Is anyone in here paranoid enough to pull the covers out and write on the surface with a permenant marker instead?

I would be paranoid to bring anything just clipped since the information is pretty specific about what is a good fastener. It is so easy to just poke 3 holes and put things in a binder.

I had the same thing and nobody bothered me about it. If you're worried about it just tape the opening so that the paper is not "loose"

My bad...I think I misunderstood the question (a problem I have had in the practice tests %&$!!@). I would not personally worry about the binder transparent cover sleeve. Same thing with the spine sleeve that may have a title inserted.

I don't "think" they care about that. but personaly, I will take mine out just to be on the safe side.

Many of you might think this is a ridiculous thing to bring up. I have several binders with the transparent plastic sleeves where you can insert paper for the binder cover. Since it is not bound or glued, isn't this technically grounds for dismissal from the exam? Is anyone in here paranoid enough to pull the covers out and write on the surface with a permenant marker instead?
R2, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, just do what FF suggested and put a piece of Scotch tape over the opening so nothing loose "flies" out when opening your binder during the exam (that's what I did). Good luck.

I had many binders with the insert pages as the covers. I put useful stuff there. I also affixed notes to inside covers and pages and such.

Let's look at the intent. What they are concerned with is someone bringing in a bunch of loose blank papers just to copy exam questions, conceal them and take the out of the exam room. That said, in theory you can bring a binder full of blank sheets and copy away, but it would be easier for them to catch you. Just my $0.02.

When I took the test (in Georgia last year) they confiscated my neighbor's binder because she had a paper in the slide-in clear pocket on the front. I guess it just depends on the proctor...

Yes, I guess it must depend on location/proctor.

When I took the ME exam some lady taking the Civil exam rolled in with a wagon... not the little red wagon but one that was roughly 6ft long X 3 ft wide. In the wagon she must have had 60 binders (I don't know why since you only have 5 min per problem), but each had a slip in cover and no problems.

Then when I took the EE exam I had 2 different binders with a slip in sheet and had no problems.

A lot of the code books like California Building Code come in binders so I don't see how they could really enforce that.

I ended up taping up all the openings just in case, but at my particular test it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. I saw lots of people all around who didn't tape theirs and they had no problem.

When I took the ME exam some lady taking the Civil exam rolled in with a wagon... not the little red wagon but one that was roughly 6ft long X 3 ft wide. In the wagon she must have had 60 binders (I don't know why since you only have 5 min per problem)
haha, wow, that's an amazing visual...

I was pretty sketched out on the whole "loose" paper protocol. Who really knows what type of proctor you are going to get, so I made sure to er on the side of caution and tape everything that resembled anything remotely "loose". My MERM book was in pretty horrid condition with pages falling out all over the place and I knew if I hadn't taped them, I would be pulling out pages all day during the test...not something I wanted to worry about...

As far as the cover on the binder, just three hole punch it in to the binder or tape the top, both adequate in my opinion.

Back