Cheat Sheets

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krakosky

Tank Ass
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the exam (MD depth) in April. I was wondering if anyone is planning on making cheat sheets in addition to tabbing the MERM? By cheat sheets I am referring to a page of equations, constants etc for quick lookup. I was planning to do this by topic (fluids/thermo, HVAC, MD) but want to know if it's even worth it first.

Also, for anyone taking the MD depth, do you feel that the info contained in the MERM for fluids/thermo and HVAC is sufficient and no other references are needed? In terms of references I currently have MERM, Shigley and the ASME steam tables.

Thanks,

Lisa

I'm planning on taking the exam (MD depth) in April. I was wondering if anyone is planning on making cheat sheets in addition to tabbing the MERM? By cheat sheets I am referring to a page of equations, constants etc for quick lookup. I was planning to do this by topic (fluids/thermo, HVAC, MD) but want to know if it's even worth it first.
I developed a goto page of formulas that was very very very useful.

It had the formula and then below it I worked the problem cancelling units.

All of this in very fine print and on one page. I still look to referance it today.

Good luck

Tim

I thought about doing that, but I found it to be more time consuming than it was worth. I tabbed specific pages with constants, material properties, and formulas that I knew I'd need from doing sample problems and that was more than adequate.

For the morning/general, I tabbed the heck out of my MERM - color coded tabs based on the subject matter:

-Fluids

-Thermo & Power Cycles

-HVAC

-Heat Transfer

-Materials and Statics

-Dynamics

-Electrical & Econ & Miscellaneous

Because I am HVAC-R depth, and the MERM unfortunately doesn't do a good job of covering HVAC if you are an HVAC-R depth, I tabbed all 4 major ASHRAE books, but I did also make a 25 page "cheat book" with all the formulas and charts etc. that I use regularly specifically relating to HVAC. It took me awhile to do but it was definitely worth it. When I took my practice test the other week, I used my own little "cheat book" for about 35 out of 40 problems and didn't even have to crack any other reference except for the other handful of (~5) problems.

I made a cheat sheet of final equations with IP units. For example, Bernoulli's equation, but with pressure given in psi, and the pressure loss in feet. A pain if you have to do the conversions every time. Remember, you can't bring in a separate sheet, so I put mine in a separate composition notebook so the page doesn't rip out. You paid close to a thousand dollars for this (exam, study materials, and for me late nights at Starbucks)...don't fret over two dollars if it has a reasonable chance to help you pass.

Good luck.

Yep. I took all my cheat sheets and made by "cheat book" by getting it spiral bound at Kinkos for like $2.

I did have a book of cheat sheets and additional reference pages (photocopies of AISC Beam Tables). The cheat sheets were originally created while in college... I used them while doing sample problems. Whatever method you use during prep should be maintained during exam.

I passed the T/F portion in April. I had a few pages of equations and conversions for quick reference. I found these equations useful. I tried to keep it somewhat brief with items that I used often while solvng practice problems. Anything that you do that improves efficiency during the test is beneficial.

I've actually been using my FE reference manual a lot when solving problems. The only downside is it only has the SI version of the equations. But that's basically what I was looking to create; a condensed version of important equations and info.

I had a copy of the index in a separate binder throughout my entire study schedule. It is alphabetically tabbed and I found it to be fast and efficient. I had over 300 hours of studying and your tabs (including your appendix & index tabs) need to be in as early as possible so you can get used to working with them during all the problems you are going to solve.

Be careful of the FE reference manual. That book was not one of the references that I could use in the PE exam. Maybe it's different in other states, but IL, that is a no-no.

It is different in other states...in IL it seems like all the good stuff is a no-no!

what is a "cheat" sheets? Is it allowed inside the examination room? How about in NYS?

thanks

cheat sheets = your own notes in focused areas. like a crib sheet in college, these guys are just talking about making a custom crib book

it's handwritten formula and to put it on the binder? is that the cheat sheet that can bring inside the examination room? is it allowed here at NY? thanks!

As others have stated, it varies state to state. In South Carolina, people appeared to have hand written notes bound together. I took the MD depth in the afternoon and really only needed the MERM, Shigley, and Marks books. In the AM, I found it useful to use my old Thermo book (Shapiro) from college just because I knew where everything was in it and I was used to using the tables quickly. I also took a Durco pump book (the little green books) and that was usefull for three problems I had in April 2011. You never know what might be useful.

Back