photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thephoenixsaga

Plant Design and Operation section

6 posts in this topic

I'm taking the ChE PE exam at the end of October. Which books/references should I bring besides Perry's for the Plant Design and Operation section? API, ASTM, etc.? There were several questions in the sample NCEES exam questions that I missed (i.e. materials of construction) because I had no references to help answer those questions. I've asked my coworkers in the inspection group for books/references for the material of construction portion of the exam. Thankfully I'm able to borrow Perry's for the exam. The books that I kept after college do not cover certain sections of the Plant Design and Operation section.

I took Lindeburg's CheRM. That is a very good overall reference guide that if tabbed properly should get you to the appropriate equations and save you significant time. Lindeburg is not any good for Kinetics so I would take your collegiate Kinetics book. I also found the Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott to be very very good for some of the less widely used unit operations equations.

THe lindeburg book has a section on materials if i remember correctly.

I didn't find Perry's too useful for the exam. It's rather large and cumbersome to find anything quickly.

I took Lindeburg's CheRM. That is a very good overall reference guide that if tabbed properly should get you to the appropriate equations and save you significant time. Lindeburg is not any good for Kinetics so I would take your collegiate Kinetics book. I also found the Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott to be very very good for some of the less widely used unit operations equations.

I am using CheRM, Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering by McCabe, Smith, and Harriott, and other books I have from school. I was just specifically asking about the Plant Design and Operation section.

I know you are asking about a particular section but I used ChERM 98% of the time and I passed first try. I really only looked in the others when I was totally stumped. Other than the tinnie tiny kinetics section, which btw did have the kinetic information needed for me when I took the test, the ChERM is a great book for all sections of the Chemical test. I only had it and some college texts and perrys.

They provide a lot of the information needed in the problem statements...too much information which was annoying sometimes.