deciding whether or not to take up civil egineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoryred1

Reaction score
I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well.

but is engineering really all maths and science??????

Are engineering, physics and Maths C a good choice of highschool subjects to go into civil

engineering?

Do you have to be great at maths and physics for civil engineering?

Is engineering a very hands-on subject

Will i find engineering difficult if i dont study?

Is engineering difficult in uni?

Is there alot of work in civil engineering at uni?

Is civil engineering a hard field to get into? (OP wise)

Do civil engineers use physics to construct structures.

Do civil engineers get paid a lot?

Is civil engineering at Uni hard?(explain)

Question for people in Australia, Queensland which is the best of all of these universities; Griffith Uni on Gold Coast, UQ or QUT

please answer all of these im desperate for these Q's to be answered

I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well.

but is engineering really all maths and science??????

Are engineering, physics and Maths C a good choice of highschool subjects to go into civil

engineering?

Question for people in Australia, Queensland which is the best of all of these universities; Griffith Uni on Gold Coast, UQ or QUT

I am not a CE but here are my thoughts.

You should brush up on your English and grammar skills prior to applying to any university. Engineering involves math and physics. They are considered difficult by many. I found that there were only a few difficult classes. I studied electrical engineering. There is a high demand for engineers. Pay is excellent for most engineering disciplines. Petroleum engineers make the most, but they also have the widest swings.

I am currently in 10th grade and i have been considering going into engineering at university. i am very interested in this field and i love the idea of creating structures. I need to know basically wat to expect in a career of civil engineering. I enjoy and understand at maths and science very well. but is engineering really all maths and science??????

engineering?

Reality check:

<soapbox>

1) Chill out. You're in the 10th grade. You have time (2+ years) to research this so don't sound so "desperate".

2) Asking questions with little upfront research is not exactly the way of the engineer. "Spoon feeding".

3) Why would anyone want to go into a field known for making targets (civil) when you can be in a field known for making missles (mechanical). That was a joke.

</soapbox>

To over simplify an answer...

YES you need to be good at MATH and Physics, YES it's hard, like any professional field would be. If you want to be successful, you'll need to work hard at school, and even harder when you get a job, and YES....believe it or not, if you're the best at what you do, there's a lot of money to be made. If you just cruise along, then no, you'll struggle to make ends meet just like most everyone else.

for the record, I am the best engineer I know, If I were to pat you on your back, you would put it on your resume... and I was terrible at Math in High School, but it clicked in college

Just remember that (in any field) success comes before work only in the dictionary

I'll plus one that I was terrible at math in high school, but I'm still an engineer. If you like a challenge, engineering could be for you, but be prepared for a lot of hard work at the university.

Civil engineering involves more than just math and science. It's a creative field where you get to design and build structures like buildings and bridges. Maths and physics are important subjects for civil engineering, but you don't have to be a genius. With hard work and dedication, you can succeed. Engineering is a hands-on subject, and you'll have opportunities to work on real projects. University can be challenging, but if you study and seek help when needed, you'll do great. Civil engineering offers many job opportunities, and it's not too hard to get into. As for the universities in Queensland, Griffith Uni, UQ, and QUT are all great options.

Back