Simple Quiz

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often is biannually?

• Twice a year

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • Once a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once every two years

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

IlPadrino

Reaction score
How many wheels on a unicycle?

How many wheels on a bicycle?

How many wheels on a tricycle?

How often is annually?

How often is semiannually?

How often is biannually?

How often is triannually?

While it could be the first or third option, I voted twice a year, only because I've heard that "biennial" is the proper verbiage for every two years.

Never paid any attention but now I have another one for my list that currently includes "then vs. than" and the non-word "irregardless". I'll be sure to give my instructor some grief at my next biennial flight review.

Answering my own questions:

How many wheels on a unicycle?
One

How many wheels on a bicycle?
Two

How many wheels on a tricycle?
Three

How often is annually?
Once a year

How often is semiannually?
Twice a year

How often is biannually?
It depends. Some dictionaries read twice a year, some read once every two years, and some read it's twice a year *and* once every two years! I believe the correct answer is twice a year. Many people get this wrong. The only safe way to handle this is to avoid the use of the word altogether.

How often is triannually?
Three times a year... but many people get this wrong, too.

As Supe pointed out, "-ennially" is the correct way to indicate once every so many years... biennially, triennially, decennially, centennially, etc.

Never paid any attention but now I have another one for my list that currently includes "then vs. than" and the non-word "irregardless". I'll be sure to give my instructor some grief at my next biennial flight review.
So, how often is this review?

How often is biannually?
It depends. Some dictionaries read twice a year, some read once every two years, and some read it's twice a year *and* once every two years! I believe the correct answer is twice a year. Many people get this wrong. The only safe way to handle this is to avoid the use of the word altogether.
Yes, my answer is "both".

Why not "duannually" or "diannually" for twice a year? Because it sounds stupid, that's why.

So, how often is this review?
Every two years. Completed my most recent one in May of this year.

Yes, my answer is "both".
But... but... words have MEANING! How can a word that can mean the difference between life and death have two different and contradictory meanings? Do I take the medicine twice a week or once every two weeks?!?

Why not "duannually" or "diannually" for twice a year? Because it sounds stupid, that's why.
Because "di" is Greek and not Latin? And we all know the only good things to ever come from the Greeks were ouzo, olives, and scantily-clad beachgoers?

"Du" is an interesting idea. According to Wikipedia it would work, but it still leaves "triannually" broken.

Back