Now what do you think?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
For all the newbies that were flipping out waiting on results (which came at a record pace this test cycle), now how important does all that belly-aching seem? Are any states still waiting?

Glad I passed

Now waiting (praying) the board approves my experience since i had holes

Are any states still waiting?
Yes, all 50 states are still waiting on SE results. It has really sucked watching all the other disciplines get their results. It's been a month since Texas released the other disciplines, but us SE takers are still sitting here.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would hbe the difference between someone who passed the Civil (structural) pe exam, and someone who passed the SE exam?

Do you SE takers already have your PEs from passing Civil-Structural?

For all the newbies that were flipping out waiting on results (which came at a record pace this test cycle), now how important does all that belly-aching seem? Are any states still waiting?
Belly-aching always has its merits!

What would hbe the difference between someone who passed the Civil (structural) pe exam, and someone who passed the SE exam?
It's a separate exam. It's 100% focused on structural topics without any general civil (water, transportation, environmental, etc) questions. You don't have to be Civil/Structural PE to take the SE, but you could do both if you really felt like it.

In general, most states do not require structural engineers to take/pass the SE to practice. The states that do require it are generally the heavily seismic states, the two main examples being California and Washington. Some structural engineers in non-seismic states like to take it anyways, for bragging rights or for the possible future project/job opportunity.

It's a separate exam. It's 100% focused on structural topics without any general civil (water, transportation, environmental, etc) questions. You don't have to be Civil/Structural PE to take the SE, but you could do both if you really felt like it.

In general, most states do not require structural engineers to take/pass the SE to practice. The states that do require it are generally the heavily seismic states, the two main examples being California and Washington. Some structural engineers in non-seismic states like to take it anyways, for bragging rights or for the possible future project/job opportunity.
Massachuttes is not a heavily seismic state however this year they stopped offering the civil/structural and now only offer the 16hour structural. It was pretty tough and super expensive...kinda wishing I just studied some other branch of civil and took that test...

Massachuttes is not a heavily seismic state however this year they stopped offering the civil/structural and now only offer the 16hour structural. It was pretty tough and super expensive...kinda wishing I just studied some other branch of civil and took that test...
The original question was the distinction between PE-CIVIL (with Structural depth) as opposed to the Structural I test (which was all Struct). The former option still exists and upon passing it, you get certified as as CIVIL ENGINEER. The latter option (passing which in most states also gave you the PE designation, and in some selected states (such as Illinois I believe), was the first of 2 exams STRUCTURAL I and STRUCTURAL II required to get the SE designation). This latter sequence of STR I and STR II has now (nationally) been replaced by the 16 hour STRUCTURAL exam, passing which can give you the SE designation, IF your state awards it.

The original question was the distinction between PE-CIVIL (with Structural depth) as opposed to the Structural I test (which was all Struct). The former option still exists and upon passing it, you get certified as as CIVIL ENGINEER. The latter option (passing which in most states also gave you the PE designation, and in some selected states (such as Illinois I believe), was the first of 2 exams STRUCTURAL I and STRUCTURAL II required to get the SE designation). This latter sequence of STR I and STR II has now (nationally) been replaced by the 16 hour STRUCTURAL exam, passing which can give you the SE designation, IF your state awards it.

That option may exist in some states, but not in Mass.

Not everyone is a Civil Engineer, I am an Architetural engineer and cannont take the Civil PE until I have enough experience. I could take the AE exam but I do not feel that the exam covers my expertise in Structural. Therefore I am stuck taking the 16 hour SE Exam until I pass it...

OK, Am I the only one who noticed how great looking POed Mommy is on that picture? I have to say that I'm completely stunt on... 10 years in the business and we almost don't get to see the opposite sex on the engineering business let along an attractive member of the opposite sex... LOL

OK, Am I the only one who noticed how great looking POed Mommy is on that picture? I have to say that I'm completely stunt on... 10 years in the business and we almost don't get to see the opposite sex on the engineering business let along an attractive member of the opposite sex... LOL
NO, you are not the only one for sure!!

NO, you are not the only one for sure!!

LOL... Just saying... LMAO!!

Back