Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tarheel

so what's everyone's job?

61 posts in this topic

yo. POed where you been?

I see you're still POed. :)

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

I work for a consulting firm. Right now I am in the crude refining industry, but I cross between that, Coal Fired Boilers, Gas/Oil Fired Boilers, Chemical Plants, and Industrial Boilers.

Duties are: Project Management (but have never been given the actual position), Lead Stress Engineer, Project Engineer, Drafter, Piping Designer, and Spec Writer.

I have spent about 70% of my time in the field. For the last year it has been 100%

yo. POed where you been?

I see you're still POed. :)

I've been busy starting a firm dag nabbit! I've had it!

environmental regulator...bum, bum, bummmmmm

:angry: regulator...

Design and Draw up plans for something that will not be built according to those plans

Regulators - we regulate any stealing of his property, and we damn good too. But you can't be any geek off the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep!

REGULATORS!!! MOUNT UP!

Regulators - we regulate any stealing of his property, and we damn good too. But you can't be any geek off the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep!

REGULATORS!!! MOUNT UP!

No thanks.

I don't think I wanna step tp this.

Concrete Quality Control Engineer is the title. Work for a concrete producer and design mixes, analyze aggregates, try to optimize our materials, review specs, etc. Nothing too exciting but I get involved in different aspects of the construction industry so it's OK.

I work for the government, and I am here to help you.

My role has been so diluted, I don't even know anymore.

My title is "Reliability Engineer", but I do fewer proactive and more reactive activities with our power plants (gas / steam turbines and HRSGs). I also serve as contract administrator for GE.

Power Quality Engineer.

Here is how it works. Customers complain about loosing power, I start an investigation checking feeder alarms, work orders at the operations center, and voltage readings in the area at the times of the "outages". If necessary will install a PQ meter( nothing than a volt recorder with a few more gadgets) just to tell the costumer that they loose power because a storm. Sometimes will find interesting stuff like a feeder breaker with a bad control relay, the THD is too high (total harmonic distortion), their new chillers are too sensitive to voltage fluctuations, and/or there are fecking branches in the feeder.

It is not boring at all. I am asking myself why did not do this crossover earlier in my career.

Instrumentation engineer.

I design gas analyzers, thermocouple/thermistor based measurement devices, dataloggers, etc. Occasionally, I'll delve into controls, but not often. Day to day work is mostly a combination of embedded and application level programming, circuit board layout and design, and analyzing data that we've logged during our gas experiments.

I supervise a group of construction managers in a very busy government office. I was described as a shepherd yesterday. That's pretty accurate.

Edit: new job

I'm now a mech engineer working for a design and fabrication company. We get to do a lot of fun small projects to large ones, and usually see everything being built on the floor. I love it.

1 person likes this

Well, I'm only an intern, but I worked at GM. I counted how many dies were sitting in the yard and scrapped a few(nearly 1 million pounds worth). And there are still a few hundred more. They offered me a job for next summer. Being GM, they probably lost the file and want me to count them up again.

And right now I'm working at this Dr. Suess designed maze of pipes that Marathon calls an "oil refinery."

I just had an interview for an intern position in the product design department at Ford, I told the interviewer I would like to be working with the Mustang. He said, "Vehicle Dynamic testing on the Boss 302?" "Yessir!"

Design and Draw up plans for something that will not be built according to those plans

That is why we had to develop a new MIL spec, MIL-TFP41, it stands for "Make it like the F'in print 4 once!"

As little as possible...

Civil/Structural construction management. Currently working on a light-rail expansion project in Denver.

who do you work for within DTP?

I'm an engineering intern in lighting ... looking for work and juggling projects.

Civil/Structural construction management. Currently working on a light-rail expansion project in Denver.

who do you work for within DTP?

RTD for West Rail line, but I know a couple DTP guys from previous jobs...

CAE Engineer. I perform structural analysis of powertrain mounts. I was a designer in the aerospace defense industry at my last job. I don't find cars to be as exciting as fighter jets unfortunately.

Once I finish training, I'll be a maintenance engineer once again. At least that's the best-fit corporate title. I'll really be Jack-of-all-trades engineer. :D

Yay! Engineer brain to be used once again!

CAE Engineer. I perform structural analysis of powertrain mounts. I was a designer in the aerospace defense industry at my last job. I don't find cars to be as exciting as fighter jets unfortunately.

location michigan, im guessing this is a ford type thing?

for the past 6 years i was a pm for a small general contractor in chicago and i ran a bunch of small jobs anywhere from 50k to 5M in value. mostly schools and gov't jobs. mostly mech and electrical upgrades as well as some basic ada stuff. mostly what i really did was babysit for carpenters, electrcians, tinners and fitters.

just got a new job a month ago working for the nations' third largest telecom provider, do end of life analysis on their critical infrastructure, MEP assets. its better.

^ Obama Automotive aka GM.