Guessing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvgirl14

Reaction score
Pipestem, :::::::::::::::wv:::::::::::::::
Okay, so I have had this debate and want to see what people's take on it. Let's say you have one minute remaining and 20 questions left. Is it better to choose one answer and go with it say C or should one randomly pick? Or should say you had fluids and electrical should you choose one answer and run with it for fluids and another for electrical or the same for both or random for both. Or if it comes to this are you just totally screwed?

This is based on not having time to read the problem and eliminate answers or make a educated guess, you only would have time to bubble in a answer for the remaining 20 problems.

I said straight answer for one section and straight answer for the other, but one guy said random, just want to see what everyone else thinks.

Okay, so I have had this debate and want to see what people's take on it. Let's say you have one minute remaining and 20 questions left. Is it better to choose one answer and go with it say C or should one randomly pick? Or should say you had fluids and electrical should you choose one answer and run with it for fluids and another for electrical or the same for both or random for both. Or if it comes to this are you just totally screwed?
This is based on not having time to read the problem and eliminate answers or make a educated guess, you only would have time to bubble in a answer for the remaining 20 problems.

I said straight answer for one section and straight answer for the other, but one guy said random, just want to see what everyone else thinks.

As I recall, the correct answers are supposed to be distributed randomly. If you are going to "guess", rolling a D4, doing steps or other patterns (A - B - C - D - D - C - B - A - A etc..) or straight down doesn't matter.

Though I have two observations. First: Don't do raw guesses. Before I start writing anything for the harder questions, I look over every question. then I go back to the beginning and answer the easier questions while thinking about the harder ones.

Second, that despite random assignments, patterns do happen. I noticed for my FE that a large proportion of answers appeared to follow a pattern; I chalked it up to the idea that within a truly random selection patterns will inevitably occur.

i've always heard that you should pick a letter and stick with it. so if you have a string of 10 circuits questions, you should go with B (if that is the letter you are going with) and go with that straight down. this will at least guarantee that you get those questions right that are that answer. i know statistically it doesn't matter, but if you just randomly guess, you have a better chance of getting zero right, at least that's what i think.

Statistically, it makes no difference.

i've always heard that you should pick a letter and stick with it. so if you have a string of 10 circuits questions, you should go with B (if that is the letter you are going with) and go with that straight down. this will at least guarantee that you get those questions right that are that answer. i know statistically it doesn't matter, but if you just randomly guess, you have a better chance of getting zero right, at least that's what i think.

Assuming answers are random, and dispersed... If you guess randomly from A-D, then you have a chance of a 0% up to 100%. If you do B for them all, then you will most likely get about 25% right. If you take the test enough times and guess A-D on them all, then eventually you should pass (based on Douglass Adams' monkeys on a typewriter theory). If you always guess B on all answers, you will fail every time.

Therefore, I go with randomizing answers.

Well my theory is you only are guessing on 20 (2 sections) of the test therefore choosing say B for one section and C for the other section you most likely would pick up a few points rather than guessing and being all over the place assuming you have no time to read them or make a educate guess. I know ideally you should read through everything and at least have an attempt at a educated guess but sometimes that doesn't happen. I don't necessarily think you are screwed since there is two halves to the FE, it just isn't the best situation to be in. I know it doesn't matter statically, we were just debating the best way to guess should this situation occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guessed at random sometimes and for some did one choice. Of course there is a chance that I got them all right or all wrong. We will see in June. Most likley though guessing does not pay off. One of my Prof does mutliple choice tests and on big pointers as we call them there are only 3 choices. Most of the time all the answers are pretty close, so at times its hard to eliminate a choice. However the FE has answer choices that can be eliminated by "inspection".

wvgirl,

based on my FE experience, at 25% probability of getting it right. I believe it is logical to choose values in between highest to lowest number that was always been my approach, for 20 items in 5mins, I dont think you can read all and answer them logically, so good luck. I hope you can pass.

I heard my coworker failed last time (Oct, 2010) FE exam that random guess might not help you to pass this time. The NCEES want to see you score "every topics" above the avg. So if you don't know how to answer some of the questions on the exam that you better skip them and go to next question. There will be some easy questions in each topics but if you guess the last 20 questions that you might miss some of the easy questions...

You maybe right if one would guess you just maybe totally screwed. I don't know. We were debating the best way to guess if you had no time. I don't really see how you can be expected to score above average in every topic. A mechanical person may not necessarily know a thing about statics. Granted there maybe a few easy questions but not enough to be above average. One of the guys who took this time around and he is a civil still in school said he had to guess on the electrical morning and he did get a chance to work them. Thanks Vinsanity, I do hope to pass it sometime.

You maybe right if one would guess you just maybe totally screwed. I don't know. We were debating the best way to guess if you had no time. I don't really see how you can be expected to score above average in every topic. A mechanical person may not necessarily know a thing about statics. Granted there maybe a few easy questions but not enough to be above average. One of the guys who took this time around and he is a civil still in school said he had to guess on the electrical morning and he did get a chance to work them. Thanks Vinsanity, I do hope to pass it sometime.
Per NCEES scoring:

"Your exam results are determined by the number of items you answered correctly for the exam in its entirety. There are no minimum requirements for particular sections or topics within an exam. You are not penalized for incorrect answers." So it is what you get right in entirety not topic.

If there is less time remaining in the exam. I will see the total sure answers for my guessing...

There are 120 question in the morning. If I answer 100 questions from question 1 ~ question 120. The unanswer 20 question will between questions.

Such as....1 (A) 2 (_) 3 (B ) 4 (D)....I will guess my question 2 for C...but if in the 100 questions that the total answer for (A) - 20, (B ) - 15, (C ) - 35, (D) - 30. that I might guess the answer will be B.

If there is less time remaining in the exam. I will see the total sure answers for my guessing...
There are 120 question in the morning. If I answer 100 questions from question 1 ~ question 120. The unanswer 20 question will between questions.

Such as....1 (A) 2 (_) 3 (B ) 4 (D)....I will guess my question 2 for C...but if in the 100 questions that the total answer for (A) - 20, (B ) - 15, (C ) - 35, (D) - 30. that I might guess the answer will be B.
If you don't have time to read the answers to make an educated guess, you certainly don't have time to do a statistical analysis of your scantron to see which answer is the best to guess.

My advice would be to BRING A WATCH and avoid getting in the situation. My test center did NOT have a clock visible from my seat, so I definitely wish I had a watch with me. When you get to the point where you know you will run out of time figure out how much time you need to make a half-educated guess about the problems at least. If you have time to do that, my guess strategy wasn't "A,B,C, or D" it was more along the lines of "there is 1 negative answer and 3 positive answers, I'll guess the positive answer that is in the middle". You can probably rule out at least 1 of the answers on a good number of questions, then your chances jump from 1:4 to 1:3

My advice would be to BRING A WATCH and avoid getting in the situation. My test center did NOT have a clock visible from my seat, so I definitely wish I had a watch with me. When you get to the point where you know you will run out of time figure out how much time you need to make a half-educated guess about the problems at least. If you have time to do that, my guess strategy wasn't "A,B,C, or D" it was more along the lines of "there is 1 negative answer and 3 positive answers, I'll guess the positive answer that is in the middle". You can probably rule out at least 1 of the answers on a good number of questions, then your chances jump from 1:4 to 1:3

you have a good advice but some FE examinees found it hard to finish, for each item they must finish it in a maximum of two minutes. Logical guessing is pointed out here, my suggestion is pick an answer in between max and minimum values.

good luck

One of my eng. professors, who also teaches a course in statistics, suggested we pick one letter and stick to it. That way we'll get about 25% of them correct. wvgirl14, the way you suggested should work too. Btw, I'm guessing you re-took the FE this April? good luck with that!

I remember we both had taken the FE a few times and were really close to passing. Hope this is your time!! :thumbs:

One of my eng. professors, who also teaches a course in statistics, suggested we pick one letter and stick to it. That way we'll get about 25% of them correct. wvgirl14, the way you suggested should work too. Btw, I'm guessing you re-took the FE this April? good luck with that!
I remember we both had taken the FE a few times and were really close to passing. Hope this is your time!! :thumbs:
Thanks Klox23. I hope and pray so too. Not real confident this time, I know of a few stupid mistakes, a little more rattled this time around, but if I don't pass I will dust myself off and try again! I feel better about the afternoon. Glad you passed yours!

Thanks Klox23. I hope and pray so too. Not real confident this time, I know of a few stupid mistakes, a little more rattled this time around, but if I don't pass I will dust myself off and try again! I feel better about the afternoon. Glad you passed yours!

Wvgirl,

Hows your FE REsult?

Back