TExas A&M or UT Arlington?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineerme

Reaction score
HI guys,

I am planning to join graduate school but not yet decided which school to go to. I live in texas and i have two schools to choose between: Texas A&M and UT arlington. Does any one know about these schools? which one do u think is better for a civil engineering MS degree? Us news ranked Texas A&M at the ninth best in the nation last year. Pleas any one who knows these schools give me some hint as to which school is better!

Neither. Go to Colorado School of Mines.

(says a guy who doesnt particularly care much for anything related to Texas) :p

HI guys,
I am planning to join graduate school but not yet decided which school to go to. I live in texas and i have two schools to choose between: Texas A&M and UT arlington. Does any one know about these schools? which one do u think is better for a civil engineering MS degree? Us news ranked Texas A&M at the ninth best in the nation last year. Pleas any one who knows these schools give me some hint as to which school is better!
Why not support one of EBs sponsors and go to Drexel.

In "my world", a degree from the Mother Ship (TAMU College Station) would be more prestigious than a degree from UTA.

The only down side to A&M is that it's just absolutely huge, you get lost in the crowd. Then again, maybe it's not as bad for a Masters' program.

Gig 'em.

(BSEE Class of '93)

I am a UT Grad (ChE -'87) but my daughter goes to UT Arlington. If it is between those two schools, go to A&M.

Not looking at UT Austin? I know the Cockrell School of Engineering has become so selective in some fields that a glowing endorsment from the Pope is needed just to get "wait listed".

If you are in the Houston Area, Univ of Houston is a good school, and if you have the "Fatty Money" behind you, Rice has no peers and a top shelf network of alumi.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI guys,
I went A&M for the first semester of my senior year (I graduated from Tulane University in '06, but had to attend school elsewhere fall of '05 due to hurricane Katrina.) The people were very nice and accomodating given the circumstances. Everyone did everything they could to make me feel welcome, but college station was just too small for me. It was the university, and chain restaurants. I know that's how alot of college towns are, but I personally prefer being closer to a city. Granted, I am very grateful that they opened their arms and allowed me to attend, given that most universities required you to be FROM that particular state if you wanted to attend their university, and given that I was from New Orleans, I was a bit screwed. As far as which school is better academically, i think you answered that in your original post. Good luck.

Go where you can get the most scholarship $$$. You'll better off in the long run professionally when you aren't worried about paying off college debt. And in my experience for prospective employers, the advantage is gained by having an MS, not by the college where was it earned, unless you want to teach...

make sure it is a accreditted if you want to claim it as part of the experience for PE exam requirements for your state.

Granted, I am very grateful that they opened their arms and allowed me to attend, given that most universities required you to be FROM that particular state if you wanted to attend their university, and given that I was from New Orleans, I was a bit screwed.

Plenty of people attend A&M from out of state. Plenty of people attend Texas University (yes, that's intentional) from out of state as well...

Plenty of people attend A&M from out of state. Plenty of people attend Texas University (yes, that's intentional) from out of state as well...
I think he wanted to emphasize that Tulane was shut down after Hurricane Katrina, and A&M allowed him to slide right on over, continue on track to take classes, easily transfer credits, and then graduate with a Tulane degree like he set out to do in the first place. That is a pretty cool thing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he wanted to emphasize that Tulane was shut down after Hurricane Katrina, and A&M allowed him to slide right on over, continue on track to take classes, easily transfer credits, and then graduate with a Tulane degree like he set out to do in the first place. That is a pretty cool thing. :)
That's what I was getting at. At the time most universities had just started classes, and most of universities opened their door to tulane students who were from the home state of that university (free of charge.) A&M however opened their doors to any student affected by the hurricane whether or not they were from texas. UT austin originally required the transfer students to be from texas, and then several weeks later opened it up to anyone affected by the hurricane.

That's what I was getting at. At the time most universities had just started classes, and most of universities opened their door to tulane students who were from the home state of that university (free of charge.) A&M however opened their doors to any student affected by the hurricane whether or not they were from texas. UT austin originally required the transfer students to be from texas, and then several weeks later opened it up to anyone affected by the hurricane.

Gotcha, sorry. Well I'm glad it worked out for you.

Back