Which State has the Coolest Seal Design?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAnderson41

Reaction score
From the ones I've looked at I think I think Alaska or Arkansas are the coolest. I think my home State of Michigan is probably one the lamest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually looked into this a while ago, too. The vast majority of stamps are dull and indistrguishable from each other (way to go, PEs). The only ones with any flavor are as follows: (based on the designs given at engineer seals):

Alaska - I like the star, and the layout, but not really all that exciting, IMO.

Arkansas - state silhouette

Connecticut - nice, ornate state seal in middle

Louisianna - nice pelican?

Maryland - ornate state seal again

New York - state seal

Pennsylvania - has the keystone theme, but a rather boring, industrial design

Rhode Island - SQAURE (wtf?) and with the state seal - definitely different.

Tennessee - got a bunch of weird, agricultural stuff in it. Kind of messy looking, but different...

Texas - same star as Alaska, but centered more. Boring.

Washington - It's got George Washington's portrait, AND its border is a very engineer-like set of gear teeth. I like this one!

Wyoming - the bucking bronco in the center. Pretty cool!

Of all of those, I'd probably pick Washington as the best, and Wyoming as second coolest. Maybe Louisianna as a third place. I didn't see any of the territories, but trust me that the Pacific territories have bland stamps, unworthy of inclusion in the above list.

I think we, as engineers of the 21st century, owe it to our professions to get ourselves into positions of power some day so we can change our state engineering seals to more interesting designs.

It's pretty interesting that Louisiana (optional) and Wyoming (required) have your discipline on the stamp. How many other states are like that?

Not sure - mine does, but I think I am one of a minority who actually complies. And I don't stamp anything, anyway.

I actually looked into this a while ago, too. The vast majority of stamps are dull and indistrguishable from each other (way to go, PEs). The only ones with any flavor are as follows: (based on the designs given at engineer seals):
Alaska - I like the star, and the layout, but not really all that exciting, IMO.

New York - state seal

Tennessee - got a bunch of weird, agricultural stuff in it. Kind of messy looking, but different...

Washington - It's got George Washington's portrait, AND its border is a very engineer-like set of gear teeth. I like this one!

Of all of those, I'd probably pick Washington as the best, and Wyoming as second coolest. Maybe Louisianna as a third place. I didn't see any of the territories, but trust me that the Pacific territories have bland stamps, unworthy of inclusion in the above list.

I think we, as engineers of the 21st century, owe it to our professions to get ourselves into positions of power some day so we can change our state engineering seals to more interesting designs.
Being a Mechanical Engineer, I've got to agree with you that Washington has by far the coolest seal. I didn't think it'd be that easy of a decision but because all the others are so lame I guess it is. As far as the Wyoming seal goes, I've heard that the bucking bronco you see in their seal is everywhere. I can't remember what the significance of it is but I know that the fine people of Wyoming love it so I'm not surprised to see it on their seal. You've got to give effort points to Rhode Island though for trying to be different with the square seal but it's still really bland.

First off Dleg, nice avatar. WE WANT ZE MONEY LEBOWSKI!!!

Second, I propose the following new symbol for Wisconsin's seal:

Hmm...wouldn't let me insert an image?? Well here is the symbol I was referring to. :)

New York - state seal

what about CA?

New York - state seal

what about CA?
California is still pretty basic. Unless you were referring to the fact that you put your discipline on the seal.

i think most texans would say alaska has a star, while texas has the lone star -- i say this as the owner of a texas stamp.

as a proud louisiana native, i'm happy to see the brown pelican on the seal.

First off Dleg, nice avatar. WE WANT ZE MONEY LEBOWSKI!!!
Second, I propose the following new symbol for Wisconsin's seal:

Hmm...wouldn't let me insert an image?? Well here is the symbol I was referring to. :)
You mean this?

Rebel_Alliance-logo-0E7561F6E4-seeklogo.com.gif

I think the Empire insignia would make a better engineering stamp:

9395173522095940.png

Looks like the Cheese industry has already got an idea:

2711-wisconsin-cheddar-cheese-round-XL.jpg

This has to be the coolest thread!!

My $0.02, all four of the states I'm registered at are among some of the dullest designs ever! CA, NC, SC, AZ. I think I got ripped off with CA. For all that effort, they don't even reward you with a cool stamp.

I thought about getting an LA seal just because it looked cool.

Perhaps we could offer what we all think as the lamest seals offered.

End of $0.02

^Too difficult - there are so many that are just simple, undecorated circles.

I think what we should do with this thread is design our own state seals. Doesn't have to be professionally drawn, just get the general idea across. Bonus points for being humorous.

Alright, I made an attempt at a real suggestion for my "state". This is, simply, our standard state seal superimposed on the design from our state quarter. I'd try a joke version, but this place is too small. Someone would get offended.

If anyone else wants to give it a shot for their state, I've also attached the Word file I made this with, to maybe save you some time on the word art stuff.

EDIT: nevermind. I removed the Word file because it had my name in the author field, and I couldn't remove it. (too lazy to look into how to do that).

MP_PE_Seal.jpg

The Washington stamp wins my vote for coolest design, though I do like Wyoming and Texas seals as well.

Back